The Dreaded Hum

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I just got the IM 100 ext and the guy I got it from had a Jebao return pump on it which is all well and good however the hum is driving my girlfriend crazy. I'm looking for a new one and was wondering what you all recommended in terms of quietness and quality?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most accounts of Jebao return pumps around here, including my own, is that they are silent and reliable. Is it sitting firmly on the bottom of the sump with rubber feet all intact and silicone hose to connect?

OP
OP
College_Reefer

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give it another good cleaning, reseat everything and see if that helps some! Still will be looking for another to use the current one as a backup but may solve the short term problem

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao are the quietest pumps on the market. No detectable noise from 3 8000s running at 100%

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're looking for an alternative pump:
I have no evidence for this and am just repeating what I've heard from others, as well as general observations, so keep that in mind. It seems that (with the exception of a couple higher end manufacturers) Jebao seems to be manufacturing a significant amount of the pumps on the market for other brands. Many people think Jebao is knocking off these brands, but in reality many of these brands are rebadging Jebao's product, making some minor tweaks, or resuing some of Jebao's tooling for a more "custom" pump.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus and it is the quietest pump I’ve ever owned. It is the various 2 so it is there smaller one though. I have been contemplating getting a larger one. Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever delt with though. I broke the shaft taking it apart. 100% my fault and they never even responded. I essentially just order a replacement part. Other than that never had an issue and is super quiet.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus and it is the quietest pump I’ve ever owned. It is the various 2 so it is there smaller one though. I have been contemplating getting a larger one. Their customer service is the worst I’ve ever delt with though. I broke the shaft taking it apart. 100% my fault and they never even responded. I essentially just order a replacement part. Other than that never had an issue and is super quiet.
For real man. I can't hear when mine is off or on other than the sounds of water. It's super quiet man.
Even my varios 6...I can't hear it.

Stephensx04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the jebao 20000 pump and it's dead silent. However I did have one fail and hum. Mine was the impeller cracked and threw it out of balance. May want to check that. Could also have a snail or foreign object in the impeller causing noise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back