The Electrical circuit breaker panel in my new fish room

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish room. The moisture in there is always too high and not a good place for a huge amount of electrical current flow through. Even if you have a dehumidifier, moisture will still high in there and then there will be time when the dehumidifier not function for whatever reason. In my fish tank, there art tune the water just condense on the surface of everything. If you still can decide, don’t do it.
Not sure what the details of your situation are but there are definitely ways to remedy.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high light reef that is evaporates about 3+ gallons per day. I don’t want to release this much water to the general circulation to the house so I have ventilation and dehumidifier separate for the room.
I have it under control but there is no way I want to bring all the current to my house through a small room with several gallon of water put in the air daily in that room.
This is even worst then have a circuit box in a bath room. It is not a something that you want to do and then worry about getting rid of the moisture to keep it from short circuit your panel.
Certainly there are solution to it, but why put it there and expose your house to the danger and have to worry about solution to take care of this DANGEROUS situation. The remedy does not work 100% of the time with redundancies which is exactly what the situation needed if you put the panel in your fish room.

Mu solution is having mini split Airconditioning for the room plus a dehumidifier in the room. BUT I DONT HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PANEL IN THE FISH ROOM and would never ever put it in there

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a high light reef that is evaporates about 3+ gallons per day. I don’t want to release this much water to the general circulation to the house so I have ventilation and dehumidifier separate for the room.
I have it under control but there is no way I want to bring all the current to my house through a small room with several gallon of water put in the air daily in that room.
This is even worst then have a circuit box in a bath room. It is not a something that you want to do and then worry about getting rid of the moisture to keep it from short circuit your panel.
Certainly there are solution to it, but why put it there and expose your house to the danger and have to worry about solution to take care of this DANGEROUS situation. The remedy does not work 100% of the time with redundancies which is exactly what the situation needed if you put the panel in your fish room.

Mu solution is having mini split Airconditioning for the room plus a dehumidifier in the room. BUT I DONT HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PANEL IN THE FISH ROOM and would never ever put it in there
A dehumidifier uses heat to remove moisture. Which can sometimes make your evap situation worse. If you have an exhaust and it’s not working either the exhaust is not big enough, or you do not have enough air coming in (positive) to balance whats being exhausted (negative).
A split system uses cooling to dehumidify and is not very effective. The coils will also not fair well in a high salt environment. It also has no air exchange. If you’re running a dehumidifier it makes heat. And if you’re also running a split system it makes cool. You’re burning through a lot of electric to have these two battle it out. An HRV, ERV, or simple exhaust fan will likely work better and save a ton of electricity

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish room. The moisture in there is always too high and not a good place for a huge amount of electrical current flow through. Even if you have a dehumidifier, moisture will still high in there and then there will be time when the dehumidifier not function for whatever reason. In my fish tank, there art tune the water just condense on the surface of everything. If you still can decide, don’t do it.
Good point, one critical thing that I should've mentioned is that I live in Arizona. We run the air conditioners almost year round (which helps to dehumidify) and it's naturally dry hear almost year round as well.

EDIT: I evap closer to 8 gallons a day from my 300g and when I walk into fish room, I'm not smacked with an uncomfortable humidity, it's actually pleasant... almost welcoming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobrasvt1999

Cobrasvt1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think humidity will be a problem, installing a vent and a dehumidifier with a drain into the sewer is my option I think... fortunately living in Denver the normal humidity is extremely low here, and so that will help.

I don't actually have a choice as to where the fish room goes, and relocating that pannel is insanely expensive. Hoping the closet method works for isolating it...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room is not a problem. I keep it dry condition is stable even if I spend a little more energy to do it.
I keep aquariums all my life and keep high light aquarium for 25 years, had multiple fish rooms at my houses. Multiple fish rooms over the year but only one at a time

You can keep condition semi dry in the fish room. But you should not put electrical panel in there.
Anybody who have a reef fish room will let you know that it is a high moisture environs y and needs remedy to decrease moisture.
I am not an electrician, but I am sure that there are codes to prevent having electrical panels in bathroom. There are require of having GFI outlet in the moister rich environment.
before you decide to put electrical panel in there, make sure that electrician (who may not know about aquarium) know that the reef likely evaporates multi-gallons per day.

I got in this discussion trying to prevent you from making a mistake, possible a fatal mistake in building your reef room. Best of luck, and enjoy your fish room.

Sorry I posted this just after you did, before I read your last post. Good luck and enjoy your tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobrasvt1999

Cobrasvt1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish room is not a problem. I keep it dry condition is stable even if I spend a little more energy to do it.
I keep aquariums all my life and keep high light aquarium for 25 years, had multiple fish rooms at my houses. Multiple fish rooms over the year but only one at a time

You can keep condition semi dry in the fish room. But you should not put electrical panel in there.
Anybody who have a reef fish room will let you know that it is a high moisture environs y and needs remedy to decrease moisture.
I am not an electrician, but I am sure that there are codes to prevent having electrical panels in bathroom. There are require of having GFI outlet in the moister rich environment.
before you decide to put electrical panel in there, make sure that electrician (who may not know about aquarium) know that the reef likely evaporates multi-gallons per day.

I got in this discussion trying to prevent you from making a mistake, possible a fatal mistake in building your reef room. Best of luck, and enjoy your fish room.

Sorry I posted this just after you did, before I read your last post. Good luck and enjoy your tank.

I really appreciate it, That's honestly what is keeping me questioning this. I knew from the get go that a unsealed CB panel wouldn't be acceptable to me around large tanks of water, the only question is the feasibility of either moving it or protecting it. Probably by building it into a closet at the moment. Considering the cost of a electrician to do this work would likely more than double the cost of developing this room....

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate it, That's honestly what is keeping me questioning this. I knew from the get go that a unsealed CB panel wouldn't be acceptable to me around large tanks of water, the only question is the feasibility of either moving it or protecting it. Probably by building it into a closet at the moment. Considering the cost of a electrician to do this work would likely more than double the cost of developing this room....
I feel for you. Goodluck.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 115 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back