View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out with the old...

2011-06-04110853.jpg

And in with the new...

2011-06-03220435.jpg

I've always dosed 2-part or 3-part (+MAG) on all of my tanks (also called the "balling method") first using b-Ionic, then later BRS. It has worked well for me over many years. The reasons I'm now making the jump to a CA Rx (espcially on a smaller gallonage system) is,
  • Salinity creep due to large dosing amounts in a small water volume system (~120ml ea. BRS 2-part)
  • Anticipation of a larger build which makes operating a Ca Rx much more economical over time than a dosing regime.
The equipment I chose was rather expensive, but I view it as a one-time investment. Because I travel a lot, I wanted the most reliable solution possible. I also went with a digital regulator as finite control is critical in such a small tank. Based on my research and needs - here's what I purchased,

GEO 612
Electronic CO2 Regulator
Tropic Eden Course Ca Rx Media
APEX PM1 (To support the second pH probe needed to monitor effluent pH.)
pH Probe

I'll continue dosing Kalk in my ATO to help support pH and for the rumored additional benefit of precipitating out phosphates.

As this is my first Ca Rx install and I'll be "learning as I go", I thought I'd share the journey :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to get the GEO612 installed and begin the tuning process. The 612 fits (albeit snugly) into the cabinet of my Frag tank. Once I remove the dosing pumps, the CO2 tank should also fit directly behind it. The 612 is fed by an Aqua Lifter pump (220ml/min) hidden from view by the LED controller on the top shelf. The filter is visible in the top-left of the photo. The 2-part will be weaned off and removed once the CaRx is dialed in.

GEO612TempInstall.jpg

Here you can see the Tropic Marin Calcium media. It consists of course pieces of coral and shell. I was very impressed at how clean the media was. It required no rinsing and had just a faint smell of the ocean.

TropicMarinMedia.jpg

Here's the 5lb CO2 canister fitted with the CarbonDoser electronic regulator. I ended up purchasing one from a local AirGas outlet (about $80 with $12 refills.) It's initially set for 3lbs and 8 bubbles per minute. This should provide an effluent pH of ~6.9 which I'll be using as a starting point.

CarbonDoserReg.jpg

Pardon the messy sump - The intake for the 612 is the blue line visible in the far-right back section of the sump and draws from the GFO/GAC discharge area (pH seems lower in this areas for reasons I do not understand.)

612Sump.jpg

The effluent discharge (left-front) is routed to the sump return area and is initially set for 40 drops/min. This provides a turbulent, well-aerated area that also feeds the skimmer to drive out any remaining CO2 and limit any pH drop.

EffluentDischarge.jpg

Tuning a CaRx means lots of ALK testing. I'm using a Hanna755 which provides accurate results in about 60 seconds.

HI755.jpg

First impressions -
  • The GEO is a very well built device with quality fittings. Assembly was easy with no leaks.
  • The AquariumPlants electronic regulator is wonderful. You simply set the dial to the desired bubble count and forget it - it's steady as a rock.
  • I had to calibrate the pH probe using 7 and 10 pH calibration fluids. It's recommended that 4 and 10 be used. I've ordered the 4 calibration fluid and will recalibrate once received. Till then, I'll be conservative with the effluent settings.
  • So far, after 12 hours of running I've detected no pH drop in the tank :)
  • I'm initially targeting 10dKh and 440CA. It will take a bit to get settings finalized as I wean off 2-part dosing.
For those interested here are the initial Apex settings....

CO2CaRx
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If pHCaRx > 06.89 Then ON
Defer 010:00 Then ON

CaRxCirc
Fallback ON
Set ON

CaRxFeed
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If pH < 07.90 Then OFF

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade! I've been pleased with running a CA reactor rather than dosing 2-Part!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I used the GEO 612 when I ran a reactor. Excellent unit and once I dialed it in I never touched it until I broke it down to clean it.

Interesting comment about the salinity creep. How much was it rising? This is the first time I have heard of it due to dosing.

gofor100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice... thinking of setting up a similar system (except a little larger).

Where did you purchase the Aquarium Plants Regulator from? I've heard they are the best on the market.

-Chad

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade! I've been pleased with running a CA reactor rather than dosing 2-Part!
Thanks Sara, I'm excited to be done with 2-part. :)

I keep thinking I might go back. Using 70 mls of each part on my tank is getting old.
I couldn't agree more :)

Nice write up. I used the GEO 612 when I ran a reactor. Excellent unit and once I dialed it in I never touched it until I broke it down to clean it.

Interesting comment about the salinity creep. How much was it rising? This is the first time I have heard of it due to dosing.
Thanks Paul - I average a 0.15 ppt per day increase (Osmolater maintain precise ATO.) I beleive it is due to the large dosing amount is a very small system (~50 gallons)

Nice... thinking of setting up a similar system (except a little larger). Where did you purchase the Aquarium Plants Regulator from? I've heard they are the best on the market.
-Chad
Thanks - I purchased through AquariumPlants.com Thus far I am very impressed with it.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuning in...

Day 3 and the dialing on of the reactor is going well. As of this morning I've officially kicked the 2-part habit and shut down the dosing pumps although I'll probably restart one of them for Mg dosing.

Thus far the low pH effluent hasn't impacted tank pH. I attribute this to the efficient use of CO2 by the GEO, and discharging the effluent into the return section of the sump just before the skimmer (I'm also running a CO2 scrubber that feeds the skimmer.) In theory, that should drive off any excess CO2. I do expect some lowering of pH due to ceasing the 2-part dosing (specifically the ALK component), but there's room for a slight decrease in pH.

At 10 BPM @ 2.5PSI and 20ml/min effluent the reactor maintains ~6.65 pH without the Apex having to cycle the CO2 solenoid. Here's a graph from the Apex showing the initial setup and trends...

CaRx_Tuning.jpg

The Apex's ability to track CaRxpH in real time and the dial-it-and-forget-it Carbon doser regulator make the setup process relatively simple. Even the Alk testing is easy and takes only about 60 seconds with the Hanna 755.

Here are the test values so far...

CaRx_Initial_Tuning.jpg

It's obviously very early in the process and I'm sure there will be lots of "tweaking" ahead, but so far I'm very pleased with the GEO.

Last edited:

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just plumb your inlet from your main pump or use a more reliable pump? I don't think the aqualifter is designed to run 24/7. Maybe it'll work for a few weeks but pressure might change in time which adds more to the complexity of dialing-in your CaRx.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just plumb your inlet from your main pump or use a more reliable pump? I don't think the aqualifter is designed to run 24/7. Maybe it'll work for a few weeks but pressure might change in time which adds more to the complexity of dialing-in your CaRx.
Thanks Reggie -Thus far the effluent drip rate has been perfectly stable. I did order a needle valve to replace the micro-ball valve to provide a bit more accuracy. GEO recommends either a MJ1200 or the Aqualifter and based on my research, many have used it with great success. I have spare MJ1200 on hand, but because my system is so small (~50 gal at present) the MJ would have been overkill and unnecessary energy usage and heat. The 20ml/min output from the Aqualifter is perfect and with them being so cheap, I've got spares sitting on the shelf.

I considered just tapping off of my return pump (WaterBlaster 7000/1800GPH) but I read enough stories about effluent blockages and reactor leaks that I decided I liked the idea of the little Aqualifter :)

Should the pump fail, CO2 will rise in the reactor, lowering pH beyond minimum levels, the Apex will turn off the CO2 and alert me. That said, time will be the ultimate test, I can always swap out the pump is needed.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unique Use of a Metronome

5 months later and things are going well - The Aqualifter has performed flawlessly so far.

Calcium reactors can be a great way to maintain Calcium and Alkalinity, but it can be a challenge getting them initially "dialed in." There are 2 variables - pH of the effluent and drip rate. Controlling the pH in the reactor is relatively simply with a controller and good regulator. Determining the optimal drip rate, making tiny adjustments and verifying that rate can be a bit tougher.

I found an easy way to monitor and adjust drip rates using a metronome (available free in the Android Market)

Instead of doing timed measurements (measuring how many mL of effluent drip into a container per given time), it's much easier and faster (seconds) to simply time the drops using the metronome.

1 drop = 0.05 mL
1 mL = 20 drops

For example - Using the above standard, if your your dripping at 2 drops per second, you're adding effluent at a rate of 6 ml per minute. (Note, 20 drops/mL is the standard used in Pharmacy however drop size varies based on tubing size. It's best to initially measure your output and calculate drop size.)

Regardless of your actual drops/mL, this provides a consistent method of measurement allowing for tiny adjustments to be made without tedious timed measurements.

I use an app called Mobile Metronome (Android Market) that allows you to either simply "tap" the beats per minute (drip rate) on the screen. It then instantly tells you the drops per minute (DPM) or; you can set a specific DPM and it sounds out the cadence allowing you to easily mirror the drop rate to the metronome "clicks".

Either way - it's very simple to get an accurate measurement.

Last edited:

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I have the exact same system. The carbon doser regulator is truly amazing and worth every penny. What do you use to control your effluent drip and where did you get it? I need something a little more accurate than the plastic valve I am using now.

purplereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get ready for Alk spike after Alk spike my friend. You will be setting your regulator and or drip rate every day for the rest of your life. Ask me how I know. I just went in the opposite direction. I am dosing 2 part with a GHL doser. I am expecting to see the salinity rise over time.

turfster26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ditched two-part two years ago and never regretted it. I use MRC Dual CalRx and very pleased. Set it and forget it. Good luck.........

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems with the Tropic Eden media? Thinking of trying it out.

keokea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start my new system like this, good write up, hows the corals doing compared to 2-Part?

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up! I have the exact same system. The carbon doser regulator is truly amazing and worth every penny. What do you use to control your effluent drip and where did you get it? I need something a little more accurate than the plastic valve I am using now.
Thanks - I installed a needle valve purchased from US Plastic. It allows for very precise tuning. I was prepared to do a tap off the return pump, but so far the Aqualifter has been rock-steady. This makes it easy to set the drip rate very accurately - especially with my new found metronome method.

Get ready for Alk spike after Alk spike my friend. You will be setting your regulator and or drip rate every day for the rest of your life. Ask me how I know. I just went in the opposite direction. I am dosing 2 part with a GHL doser. I am expecting to see the salinity rise over time.
I've only had this setup running for a little less than 6 months, but so far it has extremely steady. My 2-part system worked great with an Apex controlling 2 BRS dosing pumps - but my high demand led to salinity creep requiring weekly salinity adjustments and lots of 2-part mixing. I'm not sure why your system failed, but thus far the GEO CaRx combined with the Carbon Doser regulator has been very stable and simple to maintain - at least so far :) I use an Apex to monitor CaRx function which "should" prevent any major ALK spike.

I ditched two-part two years ago and never regretted it. I use MRC Dual CalRx and very pleased. Set it and forget it. Good luck.........
Thanks, I'm enjoying the setup.

Any problems with the Tropic Eden media? Thinking of trying it out.
This is my first CaRx, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but thus far everything is performing fine. The effluent is maintained between pH 6.50~6.52 with no media issues whatsoever.

I want to start my new system like this, good write up, hows the corals doing compared to 2-Part?
It took a few weeks to get things "dialed in" which resulted in CA and ALK levels initially dropping a bit while I went through the learning curve. Since then - everything is fine.

To date, post initial setup and tuning, the system has required no maintenance at all. In a couple months I'll tear down the circulation pump and inspect it for Ca buildup but I 'm not expecting to find much as it appears to be running very clean and at pH 6.50 I'm hopeful there won't be much accumulation.

So far, so good :)

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've switched from a CA reactor, to dripping kalk (a few years later when I got back into the hobby), then a Kalk reactor, then 2-part on dosing pumps....got great results with all but I have to say, I got tired of all the mixing and dosing and decided to go back to a CA reactor a few years ago (Korallin 1502, milwaukee regulator).....one of the best maintenance decisions I made for my tank, took about 2 week to get it dialed in right, but other than refilling it, I haven't had to touch it since I set it up. My pH did drop a bit due to excess CO2 (from 8.1-8.3 to 7.8-8.2) but it didn't seem to have any negative effects on the tank.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a calc reactor on my tank for about 2 years now and haven't had any issues with alk spikes. Also, you can add magnesium flakes to your media so that you don't have to dose as much, if any, mag.

CJ

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back