The Fall of the "Red Hornet"

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Not a polyp but the jf Jack o Lantern leptoseris is the fastest price drop I have seen. Why? Because that beauty is a really fast grower and easy to keep coral.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I was just reading something on what is driving the prices too... Its the hobbyist with their in-tank frag rack driving the prices and to some what basement/garage propagator/farmer. It is not just the person who must have, its people that think they will profit off it.

Here is the idea these people thinks they will be one of the first to purchase the coral and will grow it out and make all this money. Problem is by the time it has grown out the prices already have comedown and most loose money. The other issue is the originator usually has a pretty big chunk of what ever it is already usually through importing or cherry picking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Doesn't matter to me... I will still pay top dollar for things that I want. There are a few on my list that ill shell the cash out for just because I want them. Put me on the rare case list because most of this stuff I don't stand a penny off of. Just want it in my tank!

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got a few red devils and utter chaos. Won't make a dime off of them even though I got a great price on them. I have a price point though. I won't go over $200 for any coral. But I will drop that on something rare. IMO I feel that even if you get in on the ground floor and it does become common place, there are still those rare polyps that are going to be rare regardless of how much you pay. There are just some polyps out there that you don't see around.

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dream corals released the utter chaos it was 250pp. There were threads on rc about it.

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter to me... I will still pay top dollar for things that I want. There are a few on my list that ill shell the cash out for just because I want them. Put me on the rare case list because most of this stuff I don't stand a penny off of. Just want it in my tank!

I'm with you. If I like it, I'm buying it, rare or not! If it's top dollar, I'm figuring out a way to make it happen! If I have good growth, eventually I'm cutting them and selling them...to help offset the cost, however little the amount may be compared to what I have invested in my system and everything in it.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you guys. One of the things I love about r2r is that there aren't a bunch of whiners, "Back in MY day zoas were free!" "People used to PAY me to take thier purple hornet colonies" garbage like that. If something is awesome, and I want it, and I don't sell my wife's wedding ring to get it, Its going in my tank. We have a great group of vendors and members here that offer great prices on the best stuff though.

On another note, Pectinas are certainly getting more affordable.

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a buy it if you like it person myself. I just don't like it when people buy things to mark them up or photoshop the heck out of something to mark it up. As Charles said above the vast majority of zoas and plays fall in price (some faster than others) so it pays to be patient sometimes.

OP
OP
BBoley24

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does anyone remember a time when Eagle eyes were expensive??? I don't and they have wicked colors. Just not rare.

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. It is the same thing. If you see a pair of shoes released this season you can pay the $250 they cost or wait and get the exact same shoes in an outlet for 75 out of season. Your choice. Me? I will wait for sure. But the people with money and a taste for those shoes can have them and show off 1 year before. So if you have not the money or the will to pay for it. Sit down, enjoy the pics and wait. You will get what you want at the price you want sooner or later. (Scolys are the exception to this rule)

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc, the first "named" zoa was tubbs blue which is ironic because he was upset that his zoa got the name game rolling. Eagle eyes were just probably slapped on later as every lfs in history has probably had them. Same with the green ones which I forget the name of

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back