The final fish

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have almost fully stocked my 40 breeder. I currently have a 2 clowns, an algae blenny, 3 azure damsels, and a royal gramma. I have space for like 1 more fish, but it want it to be a good one. I don’t really care about price, but I would prefer a more expensive fish. I’m just looking for a “show fish” that will just pop in my tank. I would also like the fish to be reef safe as I am planning to have corals. I researched some possible candidates and i was interested in a helfrichi firefish or a blue dot jawfish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys. I have almost fully stocked my 40 breeder. I currently have a 2 clowns, an algae blenny, 3 azure damsels, and a royal gramma. I have space for like 1 more fish, but it want it to be a good one. I don’t really care about price, but I would prefer a more expensive fish. I’m just looking for a “show fish” that will just pop in my tank. I would also like the fish to be reef safe as I am planning to have corals. I researched some possible candidates and i was interested in a helfrichi firefish or a blue dot jawfish.
Banggai cardinal
Tail spot blenny
Yellow coris wrasse

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer a more expensive fish.
I think it's important to keep in mind that expense is often correlated with difficulty in obtaining a specimen, and not indicative of its suitability for aquarium life. These fish are also collected at depth, or have specific and finicky dietary and lighting requirements, which means that you can end up with a timid fish that hides under rocks and will slowly starve to death.

Firefish are lovely, but they're jumpers. One of mine went carpet surfing even though I had a screen lid on it, with a gap on one side about 3 mm high to allow a single cord through it. Blue-dot Jawfishes often suffer from a species-specific disease, are thought to do best in subtropical temperatures, and can be cryptic.

@vetteguy53081 gave some good suggestions. I personally love captive-bred orchid dottybacks, but many people still report aggression even when they're kept in pairs, so they're not for every tank.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's important to keep in mind that expense is often correlated with difficulty in obtaining a specimen, and not indicative of its suitability for aquarium life. These fish are also collected at depth, or have specific and finicky dietary and lighting requirements, which means that you can end up with a timid fish that hides under rocks and will slowly starve to death.

Firefish are lovely, but they're jumpers. One of mine went carpet surfing even though I had a screen lid on it, with a gap on one side about 3 mm high to allow a single cord through it. Blue-dot Jawfishes often suffer from a species-specific disease, are thought to do best in subtropical temperatures, and can be cryptic.

@vetteguy53081 gave some good suggestions. I personally love captive-bred orchid dottybacks, but many people still report aggression even when they're kept in pairs, so they're not for every tank.
Thank you i really appreciate it

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 147 60.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.2%
Back