The freshwater Pom-Pom Crab

Fisker

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
49
Location
Richmond
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've set up a 5.5 gallon freshwater community in the past month or so, and I came across a unique little invert in my LFS last week... a freshwater pom-pom crab.

I've seen these guys for sale online, but they've always been sold out or ridiculously pricey. This one was $11, and had all of his limbs - seemed active, too! I snatched him up quick, as I'd never kept any freshwater crabs, and had wanted to try one of these guys for a long while.

Lemme tell ya - this is probably my favorite invert I've ever kept, fresh, brackish, or saltwater. He hides most of the day, is super skittish, isn't all that colorful, has a dull pattern, and really doesn't do much other than scavenging, but he's SO cool! He moves a bit differently than most saltwater crabs I've seen, and his pom poms are constantly moving around in the current. I spend more time looking for him than I do staring at my endlers and ember tetras. Why aren't these guys more popular? I'm sure they can't be that difficult to feed, and I've read that they're pretty hardy online. Am I missing something that makes them non-desirable?

POM.jpg

I hate the gravel, and will be replacing it with pool sand shortly, but this tank is almost as fun as my reef. Always tons of activity, tons of color, and best of all, maintenance takes like 10 minutes per week. Don't have to mix water, scrub algae (ramshorn snails do it for me), or siphon too much (the plants will appreciate the ferts...).

FTS 7.jpg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new