The Future: Coral From Eggs

  • Thread starter Thread starter GARRIGA
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2021
Messages
4,386
Reaction score
3,496
Location
South Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was aware coral breeding had been accomplished in captivity but now we have a company (first I’m aware of) that will be offering eggs to aquarists.

 
It’s a really nice idea, buy a bottle of mixed up SPS eggs, pour it in and let your home reef be populated… that being said, I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn’t just become fish food and chances of them successfully becoming a coral have to be near zero.

Love the idea though!
 
It’s a really nice idea, buy a bottle of mixed up SPS eggs, pour it in and let your home reef be populated… that being said, I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn’t just become fish food and chances of them successfully becoming a coral have to be near zero.

Love the idea though!
Just have no fish lol
 
Seemed to me they were talking about selling genuine baby colonies, not eggs, which makes a lot of sense. Greater genetic diversity vs just selling frags or colonies grown from frags.

Only coral I've had succesfully breed in my systems, and repeatedly at that, are blue clove polyps. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
 
It’s a really nice idea, buy a bottle of mixed up SPS eggs, pour it in and let your home reef be populated… that being said, I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn’t just become fish food and chances of them successfully becoming a coral have to be near zero.

Love the idea though!
I’m thinking same as far as application but could be an option for those starting new tanks. Perhaps each vial representing a particular region. All SPS from say the Great Barrier Reef.

Although could be each egg comes in a syringe that is used to place the egg on a spot.

I’m sure they are working on figuring it out and showed one colony from a single egg two and a half years old. Didn’t know from egg they’d grow that fast.
 
Seemed to me they were talking about selling genuine baby colonies, not eggs, which makes a lot of sense. Greater genetic diversity vs just selling frags or colonies grown from frags.

Only coral I've had succesfully breed in my systems, and repeatedly at that, are blue clove polyps. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Could be propagated colonies from eggs. Good catch. I keep imaging a vial of brine shrimp eggs :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new