The good ole' Clownfish <-> Anemone not hosting problem

HeikeganiGhostCrab93

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2024
Messages
5
Reaction score
36
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent good money on a Black Widow BTA about the size of a baseball and two gorgeous long fin Mocha Storm/Snowflake clowns. They could not care less about the anemone! It has only been about a week.. how long does it usually take for them to start warming up?
 
Spent good money on a Black Widow BTA about the size of a baseball and two gorgeous long fin Mocha Storm/Snowflake clowns. They could not care less about the anemone! It has only been about a week.. how long does it usually take for them to start warming up?
Mine took 2 and a half years.
 
mine took a year, maybe longer
Also that chart where this species host that species is more “guide” than hardcore fact …
I have (or just had) a LTA, Carpet and Sebae
in the same tank is Barberi, tomato, percula, and saddleback pairs…
I can’t see any patterns or rhyme nor reason to anything
 
It can take a very long time to get them to host an anemone. You can try and find a video of clowns swimming in an anemone and play it against the glass for an hour each day, seriously, people have said it works.
 
Ocellaris clownfish can take a day or multiple years. I hear that they take to carpet anemones faster, but I've never tried.

If you REALLY want a clown to host the anemone, Clarkii and Maroon clowns host very quickly. Otherwise, patience and excitement if/when it happens :)
 
Spent good money on a Black Widow BTA about the size of a baseball and two gorgeous long fin Mocha Storm/Snowflake clowns. They could not care less about the anemone! It has only been about a week.. how long does it usually take for them to start warming up?
It varies widely from fish to fish. Some people get lucky and have them hosting within a week, others take several years or never do. I’ve been pretty lucky myself and never had much trouble. Couple things I did: I used flow to get the anemone to stay in the area the clowns were already hosting (a rock ledge) and rigged an ipad to the side of my tank with a wire clothes hanger playing videos of clownfish and anemones. Within a few days they were hosting the RBTA in the tank.
 
Ocellaris clownfish in my opinion as I've read in many different articles, they are the hardest to get to pair with Anenomes. On the other hand I have a Tomatoe Clown that cannot decide which 2 LTA'S and pair if Ducan that also tends. But Ocellaris clownfish are the worst. It has been said if you quarantine them together, they will buddy up. Can't hurt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new