The good the bad and the ugly!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most if not all tanks have been through good and ugly stages! its perfectly normal to have an ugly phase with alga and cyano and other issues in the early phases of a tank yet its even more annoying when nice cycled and filled up tanks go into an ugly stage for whatever reason.
most of us tend to shy away from telling the mishaps or showing pics of hte ugly phases of ones tank for various reasons yet I believe these are the stories and phases to be told and documented to make a learning to oneself and others of what went bad and how it was fixed.
So lets see pics and stories of tanks gone wrong, bad or ugly and how owners corrected things!
feel free to link to build threads if you already documented a bad phase in your build thread as well.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have any pics, though I don't mind what many reefers call "the ugly stage" the dinos covering the dry rock give the tank a much more natural look, as I don't want unnatural purple or bleached white rocks, as for cyanno. I am not kidding when I say the pods ate it. I don't clean my sandbed anyway, so no downside, once the gha had sucked all of the po4 from the specific patch of dry rock it just dies off. Anyway my secret for getting past the ugly stage is: nothing. It will take care of itself and go through cycles just like the ocean, plus my LPS love the stability!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back