The Great Coral Giveaway — Week 5 of 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
We are pleased to announce the coral for week #5 of The Great Coral Giveaway!

We are giving away a coral a week for 6 weeks. To enter, all you have to do is like or leave a comment under the coral up for contention each week on our Facebook page.

Winners will be randomly selected each Friday during the entry period. Care instructions will be provided in the caption of each coral photo.

This week's coral: A Blastomussa wellsi colony. Good luck, everyone!

THE GREAT CORAL GIVEAWAY — 2012

Coral #5: Blastomussa wellsi

Description: "This beautiful Blastomussa wellsi colony is just beginning to open up. Please pardon the poor mobile phone photo from this morning... we promise this baby looks great in real life!"

HOW TO ENTER: Simply like this photo or leave a comment before 12 pm PST on Friday, 8/3.

HOW TO WIN: Winner will be chosen at random. Winner will receive the Big Polyp Blastomussa plus a bottle of Aqua Vision Aquatics Coral Dip Solution (Aqua Vision Aquatics Coral Dip Solution - 1 oz).

Scientific Name: Blastomussa wellsi
Care Level: Medium
Temperament: Peaceful
Lighting: Medium intensity
Waterflow: Low
Placement: Bottom to middle of aquarium
Water Parameters: Temperature: 72-78° F; pH 8.1-8.3; Specific Gravity 1.023-1.025; dKH 8-12; Calcium 400-450ppm; Nitrate >10ppm
Supplements: Calcium, magnesium, iodine and trace elements
Family: Mussidae

The Blastomussa wellsi is sometimes confused with mushrooms when it is fully expanded due to its meaty flesh. When retracted, the skeletal structure can be seen and you will notice the large, separated, corallites that help to distinguish it from its relative, blastomussa merletti and other similar LPS corals. Solid reds, maroons and oranges are the most typical colors found. Dual-color specimens can sometimes be found in combinations of red and green, orange and green or purple and green. They obtain most of their energy through photosynthesis but do benefit from regular feedings of zooplankton, phytoplankton and/or Cyclopeeze. Moderate lighting with low water flow areas of the aquarium are best suited for these colorful, slow-growing corals.

SPONSORS: MarineDepot.com, JBJ Aquarium Products and Aqua Vision Aquatics

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Better Blasto Photograph

JBJ just sent over a better photo of Week 5's Blasto:

*THIS IS NOT THE CORAL TO LIKE OR COMMENT ON TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY!* This is just a better photo we couldn't help but share with you. :first:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Gorgeous!! Love these give aways!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back