The Great Peppermint Debate: Are They Truly Reef Safe?

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time I have been having this debate. Personally I think they are semi reef safe but they will pick apart LPS. Others say no. I have one on the way and I have had a few in the past.

What do you guys think? Let's get something conclusive!

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are absolutely not, they will munch on zoas as well
I have heard that they will try to steal food or clean dying flesh of of zoas and makes it look like they are trying to eat it. However I have had one that did pick at my Zoas and 3 that ignored all soft coral

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that they will try to steal food or clean dying flesh of of zoas and makes it look like they are trying to eat it. However I have had one that did pick at my Zoas and 3 that ignored all soft coral

Nope I got 2 for some aptesia thank god my Melanurus took care of them I saw them munch on my zoas like chuncks missing didn’t even touch the aptesia

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to disappear when I add them. I'll use a flash light at night and maybe catch a glimpse of one. Never had any issues with corals being eaten. I feed heavy so perhaps they never get the itch to much on corals.

I've added 8 to my current tank. Might add some more when Aiptasia becomes a problem again.

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some "guaranteed to eat aptaisia"one's once. Never touched a single Ap, but shredded a beautiful torch in minutes ;Rage;Rage. Never again.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... all these stories are rough. I've had too many peppermints to could and they have only done what i wanted. knock out a couple small aptasia here and there and then just go away. Whether because of the large coral banded shrimp in the tank or one of the many fish has a liking for peppermints, or for all i know there are still a few in there... i dont know but i have never seen any peppermint mess with corals. Lots of zoas, and softies and sps in the tank and not a scratch.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about peppers I saw also is if they are well fed they will be MUCH less inclined to eat corals. The shrimp I had in the past were fed with my LPS with large enriched chunks of scallop and shrimp so they were very well fed and never bothered an LPS. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably did, the ones I got were in petco god knows how long without eating because they started munching right away but my old Melanurus was a straight savage

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also often people sell "peppermint shrimp" that are not Lysmata Wurdemanni aside from Camels this might be far more difficult to identify. Hell, people have trouble identifying camels from peppers..

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also often people sell "peppermint shrimp" that are not Lysmata Wurdemanni aside from Camels this might be far more difficult to identify. Hell, people have trouble identifying camels from peppers..

True I almost bought the camels but the guy at the petco in union square knows his stuff they are very similar until you see them next to each other

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had two to eat aiptasia and they did do that. They then moved to all my spaghetti worms and now are ninjas at stealing the food meant for the fish.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True I almost bought the camels but the guy at the petco in union square knows his stuff they are very similar until you see them next to each other
The best identifier is to remember that true peppers have rounded lines and straight lines no hump just a light arched back and a distinctive green organ near their head. The fakes have straight lines or no green organ or have a hump.

This isn't directed at you specifically just a tip for people who cannae distinguish them.

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing a little taxonomic research I have read the Lysmata Bogessi is more trusted than L.Wurdemanni due to its more reef safe nature. I ordered a pepper shrimp from https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/peppermint-shrimp expecting it to be L.W but on inspection of the picture it appears to be L.Bogessi which prompted the research. This may be the hidden key to an aiptasia free safe reef cleaner!!

OP
OP
Ezreal

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
152ykh4.jpg

Little cheat sheet I found

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a long time I have been having this debate. Personally I think they are semi reef safe but they will pick apart LPS. Others say no. I have one on the way and I have had a few in the past.

What do you guys think? Let's get something conclusive!
The conclusive anwswer is No, Yes, sometimes, never, certain types, they all have an evil side and only the ones that dance side to side are bad.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought all peppermint 'dance' side to side? We find them locally in the Gulf and I've added them to my tank no issues. Everyone's experience will vary; nothing is truly reef safe, my clown loves nipping my frogspawn for example, sending floating pieces around the tank.

Camel shrimp are the ones to always avoid in a reef tank.

The peppermints I get usually look like:

upload_2019-4-17_7-18-8.png

Whereas camels are more fancy:

upload_2019-4-17_7-18-30.png

Both hide in the crevices of your rocks and are rarely seen until night.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back