Pitho Crabs Got The Job Done

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble algae really got out of control. Got 7 Pitho Crabs from Salty Bottom Reef Company. I have a 20G high so it took about five days for the Pithos to clean house. The crabs sent to me are about an inch and half. I received six males and one female that has huge/long claws. The female was not as aggressive in eating the bubble algae. The Pithos did not kill the Peppermint Shrimp in the tank and have not gone rogue towards my coral. However, I will remove all but one into a 2 1/2 gallon tank to play it safe.

bubble 1.PNG bubble 2.PNG pitho 1.PNG pitho 2.PNG

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put pithos crabs in my 125, they cleaned it entirely of bubble algae in a week. They disappeared after awhile but what can ya do.

My 29g started to have a bubble algae outbreak, pithos were out of stock everywhere so I resorted to emeralds.

My 29g still has bubble algae... but they got rid of my Zoa problem! They even took care of my mushrooms!

Never again I'll be more patient for pithos next time, now I need pest control for the emeralds, tank was built for a mantis anyways, I just hoped I'd solve the bubble problem before I put one in there.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubble algae really got out of control. Got 7 Pitho Crabs from Salty Bottom Reef Company. I have a 20G high so it took about five days for the Pithos to clean house. The crabs sent to me are about an inch and half. I received six males and one female that has huge/long claws. The female was not as aggressive in eating the bubble algae. The Pithos did not kill the Peppermint Shrimp in the tank and have not gone rogue towards my coral. However, I will remove all but one into a 2 1/2 gallon tank to play it safe.

I have 3 in my tank, all males but man do i love them! They are great algae cleaners for sure. I supplement their feeding with nori tied to a rock with a rubber band.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

The one female that I have clings onto and breaks the limbs off the smaller male crabs. The very small claw males is what you want. The female is still in the tank, but locked in a mesh bag until I can take it to a shop. Those crab leg limbs made a great snack for my large Duncan coral.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I bet. Yeah all mine are definitely males, but I do have one that lost a few limbs too, not sure how. But he is missing 3 back legs on one side, and his claw on the other. He still gets and eats just fine though. I know they will grow back, but I do believe it takes quite some time and several molts.

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put pithos crabs in my 125, they cleaned it entirely of bubble algae in a week. They disappeared after awhile but what can ya do.

My 29g started to have a bubble algae outbreak, pithos were out of stock everywhere so I resorted to emeralds.

My 29g still has bubble algae... but they got rid of my Zoa problem! They even took care of my mushrooms!

Never again I'll be more patient for pithos next time, now I need pest control for the emeralds, tank was built for a mantis anyways, I just hoped I'd solve the bubble problem before I put one in there.
How many pithos did u add in the 125?

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo of the bubble algae eating pithos in my 2 gallon tank. Gave the female to a LFS.

Attachments

• pitho in tank.PNG
    pitho in tank.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I often recommend these crabs as they are good workers and more trustworthy than emeralds. I also do see some aptasia in the pics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Three peppermint shrimp had a buffet with the aptasia.
Which is great to hear. Often you see/hear of others who get false or wrong type of peppermint and their zoa and soft coral get eaten

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my peppermint shrimp did was dance in front of me.
Perhaps they identified as sexy shrimp? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never got peppermints because I worried that they would eat baby RFAs and I was dead set to have RFAs making babies.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they are the real deal peppermints. Look for three limbs on each side. You also have to feed them once in a while. What I do is put a Hikari Crab Cuisine nugget in a turkey baster and drop it near the shrimp. They have a great scent of smell for what is in the current. So even if the food nugget is not near it will be eaten shortly.

shrimp.PNG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back