Pitho Crabs Got The Job Done

Can't wait for the weather to cool down so I can order some pithos. The bubble algae is starting to get out of control, especially around my clam!
 
You can always supplement feeding them with nori! That’s what I do. Just secure a piece to a rock or shell with a rubber band they will be happy to eat that as well.
Thats a great idea - will keep in mind ty!
 
I have 3 in my tank, all males but man do i love them! They are great algae cleaners for sure. I supplement their feeding with nori tied to a rock with a rubber band.
Hello. I too have these crabs. Had 3 males and one female. Now 1 male and 1 huge female. Had them in my 75 gallon but after a week they killed 2 horseshoe crabs. On top of my dead horseshoe crabs they literally were ripping the spines off my pencil urchin . It took a long time untangling them to try to save my urchin!!! This all happened at 2:30a.m. thank God my dog woke me up or my urchin would've been dead too. I took water outta 75 and a rock and put crabs in a 10 gallon with heater and filter. Thay are still in there (only 2 left. I lost many animals due to that hurricane that came through Tennessee). The next morning I noticed my pink cucumber was missing in 75. I found it, dead. It had chunks out of its body. Like pincher chunks. I'm sure those crabs got cucumber 1st. I'm so thankful it didn't nuke my whole tank. Just be very cautious ⚠️ about these crabs
 
Hello. I too have these crabs. Had 3 males and one female. Now 1 male and 1 huge female. Had them in my 75 gallon but after a week they killed 2 horseshoe crabs. On top of my dead horseshoe crabs they literally were ripping the spines off my pencil urchin . It took a long time untangling them to try to save my urchin!!! This all happened at 2:30a.m. thank God my dog woke me up or my urchin would've been dead too. I took water outta 75 and a rock and put crabs in a 10 gallon with heater and filter. Thay are still in there (only 2 left. I lost many animals due to that hurricane that came through Tennessee). The next morning I noticed my pink cucumber was missing in 75. I found it, dead. It had chunks out of its body. Like pincher chunks. I'm sure those crabs got cucumber 1st. I'm so thankful it didn't nuke my whole tank. Just be very cautious ⚠️ about these crabs
Really sorry you had that experience with the Pithos. Perhaps Pithos from different areas do not have the same diet/taste for things. I got my Pithos from Salty Bottom. So we will all know where did you get your Pithos?
 
Really sorry you had that experience with the Pithos. Perhaps Pithos from different areas do not have the same diet/taste for things. I got my Pithos from Salty Bottom. So we will all know where did you get your Pithos?
I live in North East Tennessee. The closest fish store around here to me is in Jefferson city Tennessee. That's about 1 1/2 hours each way. I'd love to put them back in my larger tank, but I'm so nervous . They are well fed I believe. I feed them all sorts of things. Pellets, some flake, nori. I even put in liquid plankton and give them small pieces of shrimp. My female don't even look real. It molted about 2 months after I bought them all. She's huge!!! I bet she's 5" from bottom to top of her claws. Anyways thank you for getting back with me xo
 
Hello. I too have these crabs. Had 3 males and one female. Now 1 male and 1 huge female. Had them in my 75 gallon but after a week they killed 2 horseshoe crabs. On top of my dead horseshoe crabs they literally were ripping the spines off my pencil urchin . It took a long time untangling them to try to save my urchin!!! This all happened at 2:30a.m. thank God my dog woke me up or my urchin would've been dead too. I took water outta 75 and a rock and put crabs in a 10 gallon with heater and filter. Thay are still in there (only 2 left. I lost many animals due to that hurricane that came through Tennessee). The next morning I noticed my pink cucumber was missing in 75. I found it, dead. It had chunks out of its body. Like pincher chunks. I'm sure those crabs got cucumber 1st. I'm so thankful it didn't nuke my whole tank. Just be very cautious ⚠️ about these crabs
WOW! So sorry to hear that. I only have one left now. I do not see any signs that it is messing with my urchin so far. I will certainly be keeping an eye out though. Thank you for this input.
 
WOW! So sorry to hear that. I only have one left now. I do not see any signs that it is messing with my urchin so far. I will certainly be keeping an eye out though. Thank you for this input.
Your welcome xo. Good luck my friend
 
So far my pitho has just decorated himself with sand and rocks and he basically "swims" through the sand cleaning all day and night. I know he will eat bubble algae, since I can pick it off a rock and give it to him on tweezers and he eats it like candy. Now he just needs to get out of the sand and up on the rocks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new