The great salt debate

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's time for me to change salt brands. In the 8 years that I've been reef keeping, I have always used Instant Ocean Salt. The only problem I have with this brand is that i have to add additives to my tank with every water change because Instant Ocean tends to be on the low side of salt water composition. The last batch of salt water I mixed at 1.025 salinity are as follows. Calcium = 395 ppm MG=1170 ppm Alkalinity=7.0 PH= 7.8 As you can see, these measurements are too low for reef keeping. ( Using Salifert test kits and Milwaukee ph 600 digital tester) Milwaukee tester was calibrated with 7.0 solution before testing. Im looking for a salt brand that is just about spot on for reef keeping. Reef Crystals is out of the question because I have tried this brand and the composition is also off. So my question is, what salt mix are the experienced reef keepers out there using these days. I am looking into Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. Anyone use this brand? What are your thoughts? Thanks and happy reefing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 499

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Redsea Pro for some time now but recently I have switched to Tropic Marin. I found that the Redsea did not dissolve to my liking. So far the Tropic Marin dissolves quickly and water is crystal clear. I have lots of corals so I still have to supplement with daily dosing. But so far I love the salt.

skelator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used the red sea pro blue bag but i recently switched to the black coral pro bucket. i was told the black bucket is for fast growth and the blue is for optimum coloration. ive only done one water change with the black bucket so i cant say as to how the growth is affected. but i did find it to mix fine.

LowezAkar24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Red Sea Pro and worked well for me. Parameters for this salt at 35.0 is: Cal 455-475, Alk 12.3-12.7, and Mag 1360-1420. All depends on what you are keep though. I am running a low nutrient system (SPS Dominated) now so the Red Sea Salt (Blue Bucket) is ideal for me. I have tried Instant Ocean, Oceanic, Aquavitro Salinity, and now both Red Sea Salts. But as you know salt does not make a tank, the man (or woman) in the mirror does!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the BIO-ACTIF Salt Mix from Tropic Marin and now I have quit carbon dosing and all parameters are right on.

CountrySideCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Red Sea Coral Pro but I have been having Alk issues in my tank not the salt mix. I love the Red Sea brand and use both salt and the test kits. I am about to experiment with my system by taking a 175 gallon bucket of the pro and 175 gallon bucket of the blue Red Sea and mixing the salts together and scooping out 20 gallon amounts into bags for larger, more frequent changes to see if it improves the stability of my Alk. I expect to have roughly 15-17 bags when done that will mix to 1.024/1.025. Should be a good test.

JVI90gREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using Red Sea Coral Pro but I have been having Alk issues in my tank not the salt mix. I love the Red Sea brand and use both salt and the test kits. I am about to experiment with my system by taking a 175 gallon bucket of the pro and 175 gallon bucket of the blue Red Sea and mixing the salts together and scooping out 20 gallon amounts into bags for larger, more frequent changes to see if it improves the stability of my Alk. I expect to have roughly 15-17 bags when done that will mix to 1.024/1.025. Should be a good test.

tagging along for this, would love to know how it goes for you!

I have been seriously considering mixing salts. Been using RSCP(black bucket) for 4-5 months now, and I love it!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV here and I have to say I love it mixes clear and fast and I mix it to what I need.
Ph 8.0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you've tested many times from the beginning, middle and end of a salt bucket and consistently get results like you posted? (What anyone gets in testing any one mix could be a fluke.)

Instant Ocean brand salts (incl. Reef Crystals) are used pretty far and wide for there to be consistent batch issues as you describe. There would be hundreds (thousands?) of complaints every day on every reefing board from lots and lots of people. Just for my own part, FWIW, I've been using RC for about 6-7 years and haven't seen what you describe. Because of these facts, I'm a little doubtful of your methods and/or conclusion.

If you don't mind a few questions....

Do you get your salt by the bucket or by the box/bag?

How much salt mix are you using and how much water?

How are you measuring the water? How are you measuring the salt? Also, how are you measuring salinity?

-Matt

Last edited:

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals here. IMO anything more expensive is a waste, because it doesn't matter how good the salt is, I still have to dose within 24 hours as my tank consumes alk, and ca. As long as your salinity is where it needs to be the rest is irrelevant

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have really been liking my Aquacraft brand salts. :)

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro for me!

Easy to use, Mixes Fast, and I like how it has some elevated parameters (Alk & Calc & Mag) to promote faster coral growth.

Last edited:

HoaglandDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried TM pro reef - came up w/ all low parameters. switched after 5 buckets. Tried RC reef - all params too high... switched after a few months. Settled on Seachem Reef -- all params great (PH tends to be slightly low around 7.9 - would prefer 8.2).. not complaining though... have thought about ESV or TM bio actif, but cost is prohibitive as I go through about 25 gals /wk or more on water changes

Elchicano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kent. It works for me. My fish and corals are happy. No need to try anything else.

Dont fix whats not broke

emmaleegrech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea coral pro all the way, does the job, keeps parameters in check, so far I'm happy with it. Been using it for a year now. I have great growth and parameters are spot on

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RSP for me as well. Use to go with DDH2Ocean but the supply dried up in S. FL.

I like it a lot, parameters are spot on with what I keep my tank at. Only problem is mixing, you can't dump a crap load in and mix for longer then "4 hrs". I mix 90-100g at a time so it takes time to add in the salt so that it doesn't get cloudy.

Got 800g of IO/RC that I have to use after the RSP.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back