Help raising DKH

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is about 4 years old. I’m still learning about raising coral. My DKH is between 7.8 to 8 ppm. I tried increasing the amount of water on my weekly water change. My PH has been between 8.4 to 8.6.
I put an air line on my protein skimmer. My tank is 65 gallons with 20 gallon sump. Thinking of changing from reef crystals to instant ocean reef salt. Any suggestions

SaltySqueeble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to IO purple from reef crystals for the extra alkalinity and my calcium and mag were a little high. The dKH on the Instant Ocean purple is about 11 compared to the IO Reef crystals only 9.5. So that would help raise the alk but calcium and mag are lower so you may need to compensate for those by dosing. Or you could just dose alkalinity to the tank. That all being said, you need to be careful adding alk because your ph is already maxed out. 7.8-8 is just fine and about where my tank. I go for 8-8.1

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is about 4 years old. I’m still learning about raising coral. My DKH is between 7.8 to 8 ppm. I tried increasing the amount of water on my weekly water change. My PH has been between 8.4 to 8.6.
I put an air line on my protein skimmer. My tank is 65 gallons with 20 gallon sump. Thinking of changing from reef crystals to instant ocean reef salt. Any suggestions

Why do you want to raise dKH?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first maybe only question is What does a fresh batch of reef crystals test at for you?
Reef crystals usually tests higher in all parameters and most of the time alk is 9-11 dkh. This should be sufficient for a tank just starting with corals for quite some time with regular water changes.
I did have another question! Are you using ro/di water?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to IO purple from reef crystals for the extra alkalinity and my calcium and mag were a little high. The dKH on the Instant Ocean purple is about 11 compared to the IO Reef crystals only 9.5. So that would help raise the alk but calcium and mag are lower so you may need to compensate for those by dosing. Or you could just dose alkalinity to the tank. That all being said, you need to be careful adding alk because your ph is already maxed out. 7.8-8 is just fine and about where my tank. I go for 8-8.1
That doesn’t seem right… I think you have it reversed! Reef crystals has a much higher alk than standard io.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use baking soda to raise dKh when salt cannot do enough anymore.
I assumed that his statement of " I'm still learning to raise corals" meant he has no corals yet or has been unsuccessful.
That doesn’t seem right… I think you have it reversed! Reef crystals has a much higher alk than standard io.
You are correct reef crystals is higher in all elements than standard IO.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just start dosing. Daily is enough until you have sensitive corals so I would not mess with pumps yet. Buy a gallon of Seachem Fusion 1 and 2. That will last you a year and it’s a lot cheaper and easier than burning salt water for no reason.

SaltySqueeble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed that his statement of " I'm still learning to raise corals" meant he has no corals yet or has been unsuccessful.

You are correct reef crystals is higher in all elements than standard IO.
I ve tested both types and there are forums online that have tested salt mix. Alk is higher in IO purple. That’s what I use. Not making it uo

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ve tested both types and there are forums online that have tested salt mix. Alk is higher in IO purple. That’s what I use. Not making it uo

The results in either or both cases may be impacted by precipitation of calcium carbonate in the bucket or in the mixing bin, but more tests show RC to be higher than normal IO in alk. I agree that some comparisons show the opposite.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this the avg for IO 10.68dkh. RC avg is 12.10.
Plus all my years using rc its usually high 10s low 11. IO standard has always mixed in the high 8-10 range at most usually around 9.

Ryan Kindle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use reef crystals and calc and mag seem on point but alk is 7.4 ish, in my last batch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back