The Great Snail Escape

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the weirdest place you have found one of your tank friends?

My wife just sent me a photo of one of my snails on our slider. My tank is about 30’ away from the slider…

I asked her to put it in a cup of tank water and not in the tank in case it wasn’t one of my snails. Her response was whos else snail would it be if it wasn’t yours?

IMG_2650.jpeg

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a nassarius snail making a beeline through shag carpet about 8' from the tank. Not as impressive as the 30' yours managed, but arguably he had thicker terrain to transit.
Yeah I have wood floors, nothing like having to go through carpet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raining outside snails will along with spiders enter your home
I thought maybe that, but I zoomed in on the picture and it looked like coralline on the shell. We’re also in MI in the middle of farm land, haven’t seen any snails outside, just slugs

Upvote 0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell what kind but if it's a nerite in the wild they move from tide pool to tide pool. It's instinct for them to "explore". I learned the hard way and had one get out and go behind my stand. The smell was awful and took us 2 days to find it. Think roadkill roasting in the sun in August. You got lucky.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell what kind but if it's a nerite in the wild they move from tide pool to tide pool. It's instinct for them to move like that. I learned the hard way and had one get out go behind my stand. The smell was awful and took us 2 days to find it. Think roadkill roasting in the sun August. You got lucky.
I’m curious what kind of snail it is. I have cerith, doesn’t look like a cerith. Could be a nerite, they’re always trying to escape. Could be a turbo too, I just got a bunch of smaller ones. My Astraea never go near the top so Idt it’s one of them, but you never know.

Upvote 0

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard a hermit clacking away on the hardwood about 10 feet away from the tank. Snails don't usually make it that far. I find them around the tank usually if they do escape

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the weirdest place you have found one of your tank friends?

My wife just sent me a photo of one of my snails on our slider. My tank is about 30’ away from the slider…

I asked her to put it in a cup of tank water and not in the tank in case it wasn’t one of my snails. Her response was whos else snail would it be if it wasn’t yours?

IMG_2650.jpeg
Exactly what I'm talking about @revhtree

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back