The H word

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard for me to say this, but admitting you have a problem is the first step.

I have hydroids.

At first I was in denial. 'Oh, it's just a string that got caught on a rock', or 'i saw it yesterday but it's gone today so it's not a problem'.

Truth is I have probably a manageable number of them and I'm looking for a way to nip them in the bud. I hear Fish Bendazole kills them, but might kill your reef. I have Prazipro which is reef safe but I don't know if it kills Digital Hydroids.

Does anyone have experience with these treatments?

Why don't we have a special sub for aquarium pests?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To rid of them as they can sting neighbor coral, simply starve them. They favor brine shrimp.
Discontinue brine and sim water flow towards them, not at them to prevent them from reaching for food. They will starve and die off

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To rid of them as they can sting neighbor coral, simply starve them. They favor brine shrimp.
Discontinue brine and sim water flow towards them, not at them to prevent them from reaching for food. They will starve and die off
I'm not sure I'm understanding. Send water toward them but not at them? I'm not wrapping my mind around it. Hopefully you can explain in a way I can follow. Thx.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too early to say this worked, but the result so far is promising. I diluted some prazipro and basically saturated the spots where I saw the hydroids with a baster. They retracted immediately and I haven't seen the ones I treated since. I left a couple alone as a control and they are still active. I'll hit them tomorrow and see if they recover.

If this works, I may have stumbled on a safe way to keep these things in check.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the M word

M A J A N O S

Bought a frag from a LFS like 7 years ago....that had one unsuspecting tinie tiny majano on it and now 7 years later still fighting dozens of them in my 180. They are impossible to get rid of without chiseling off your coral and going with all new LR.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the M word

M A J A N O S

Bought a frag from a LFS like 7 years ago....that had one unsuspecting tinie tiny majano on it and now 7 years later still fighting dozens of them in my 180. They are impossible to get rid of without chiseling off your coral and going with all new LR.
Ugh. I've been lucky in some regards I guess. The first thing I do is try to find something that eats the pest in question. No such luck with majanos?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too early to say this worked, but the result so far is promising. I diluted some prazipro and basically saturated the spots where I saw the hydroids with a baster. They retracted immediately and I haven't seen the ones I treated since. I left a couple alone as a control and they are still active. I'll hit them tomorrow and see if they recover.

If this works, I may have stumbled on a safe way to keep these things in check.
Keep us posted!

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't working, unfortunately. It's like whack-a-mole. The ones I hit with a heavy dose of prazi seem to stay down but they're popping up elsewhere. I'm going to try fenbedazole next. I'm a little concerned about the effect it might have on my coral, though.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whack-a-mole approach with prazi didn't work. I'm taking the leap with fenbendazole before the digi hydroids get out of control. Other than snails and a little xenia, what else should I worry about? I have cyphastrea. Will that survive? It's not a goniopora and it's not a true SPS. It's somewhere in the gray area.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it work?
Nope. I posted my findings on the 14th. Basically, the prazi worked but it was impossible to isolate every hydroid and kill it. I went with fenbendazole and that looks like it cleared out about 99 percent of the infestation. I went longer than the recommended 30 hours, though.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be overly optimistic but it appears my hydroid problem might be resolved. I dosed with fenbendazole twice. The first dose was per twillard's instructions and it knocked the hydroids down but not out. I decided to run a second dose but to leave it in the tank for over a week without a water change. I've seen a few dwindling hydroids and this morning at 6am, I couldn't see evidence of any in my tank. Time for a water change!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine resolved themselves back when they were showing up in my tank. I never treated for them or did anything special. They were there, then they weren't

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back