The Holy Grail - Rare marine fish

cmantis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read. I have a pair of golden angels, pair of gold nuggets, two pair of bali picassos and a maize angel. Just passed on some black tangs (not my thing as you can see I prefer gold).

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone mention the Gem Tang yet? If I had that kind of money to throw away, I'd already have one:)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me all fish are RARE!
They come from the ocean as God gift to us, but we might need start giving back, BIG time soon!
If you have a nicely layout as a aqua scape than every fish looks rare.
Wrasses are awesome but they jump and even with a good fitting screen on top they still manage to jump out, so for that I quit buying wrasses.
I've spend close to 5k on them and be done with it.
Angel fish are nice but it's always a challenge with corals, I have three myself and thank God they're blind for corals, Scribbled, bandit and rare Hawaiian flame.
Swallowtails are awesome as I have 4 of them, Bellus pair and Masked pair.
Instead of wrasses I'm going to try a harem of Anthias, they will be all over the place just need to feed a bit more.
So far great thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reeffirstaid

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with Diesel, all fish are incredibly important, in their own way, to ocean ecosystems. All marine fish, from common dameselfish, on up to many species described in my initial post, are beautiful and have interesting behaviors.

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS had Black Tangs and a Candy Basslet yesterday. They told me the Black Tangs unfortunately came in stressed and only one made it out of three :( He was very small or I would have grabbed him. I don't think he would have done well in my tank so that overides any desire to get one. Most of my fish are common but I do have a Chevron (pretty common but not everyday), a yellow Scopas Tang (Love this guy) and a Tang from the Mauritian Island which is cool looking but I have no idea what the name is.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to get my buddy "Ted" to post some pics of his amazing collection of fish on R2R but he is super busy and maintains a 125+ page thread on another board. (I promise Revtree I keep mentioning how great it is on R2R!) He actually commissioned us 18 months ago to make food for this tank. (Ted's chunky blend...lol) We have been feeding it and been friends ever since. He even has some more beauties in QT.

How many rare fish mentioned above can you spot?

ScreenShot2014-05-25at81706PM_zps1be6520d.png

ScreenShot2014-05-25at81805PM_zpsc032f846.png

ScreenShot2014-05-25at93128PM_zpsd192ae2b.png

ScreenShot2014-05-25at93046PM_zpsdf7abeca.png

ScreenShot2013-09-03at80724AM_zpsb3eee49a.png

Another one of our clients also has a Peppermint Angel...

ScreenShot2014-06-11at82930PM_zpsc2cbc0fe.png

(The links to the threads containing the above pics are featured on our website Testimonial page.)

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry, work your magic and get Ted and Drew over here. I'll come help ya during MACNA.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larry, work your magic and get Ted and Drew over here. I'll come help ya during MACNA.

Both will be at our booth, as will a whole bunch of rare fish collectors, so please stop by for sure! I'm gonna have feeding demos playing on our 42" HDTV featuring some exotic fish like those pictured above.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're write ups are amazing and I always enjoy them… I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with the community...thanks!

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshoppe makes a plastic peppermint angel. Sells for about $20. That would be the closest to a PA I will ever get. Easier for me to layout cash on high end coral. There at least if something g goes sideways you can try cutting the bad part out and save some part ofnit. Can't really do that with a fish

bloopergrooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fts showing your collection together would be awesome.
We have one clarion and 2 lightings and the gem (also a mango angel from Guam and a Sacura anthias) in our display tank - the other lightings and Clarions are kept out at our local aquarium for breeding projects. Here's video of the display tank. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EuzlWCIlGw

Back