The Ice Cap Smart RODI: The highest tech RODI unit ever?

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeremy.gosnell submitted a new Article:

The Ice Cap Smart RODI: The highest tech RODI unit ever?

cvrodi18991127-1.jpg
All images property of Ice Cap (Coralvue) and used here under fair use guidelines, as they best demonstrate the product being discussed.

Smart – now there is a moniker often used thus far into the 21st century. First our phones became smart, now our watches, light bulbs, home security devices and even our door bells have reached the genius level. Not long ago, I purchased a smart bathroom scale, that tracks your weight...

Read more about this article here...

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say this is my take of the Ice Cap Smart RO/DI as compared to the SpectraPure UHE 100. This is my take based on various reviews published on both, as well as a detailed review of their specifications.
I would encourage anyone with 1st hand experience with either to correct anything they feel is not accurate based on their experience.

This started with a comment that SpectraPure has had microprocessor controlled RO/DI units available for quite some time. There is no question that this is true, but there are considerable differences between what the SpectraPure UEH line RO/DI filters do as compared to the Ice Cap Smnart RO/DI.

The Ice Cap unit is a relatively standard 4 stage RO/DI unit with a booster pump, a number of solenoids, and controller built in. All of this is very nicely mounted on a combination bracket / stand. The additional items built in produce a very easy to use unit with excellent control and good production rates. Waste to product water is stated to be at 3:1, which is slightly better than 4:1 of many other units. The inclusion of a leak sensor really is a great add. This unit seems to be as easy to setup and use for a beginner as an ipad is for most kids.

The SpectraPure UHE 100 starts with a 5 stage RO/DI filter, and that is as close as the two units get. The setup of the unit requires that it be connected to a permanent RO/DI storage container. Besides the fill line you have to install two float switches which are provided and an additional line at the bottom of the storage container for the unit to pump some of the 0 tds product water back through the unit for the membrane flush. There is a booster pump, controlled by the microprocessor, but there is no user interface it is completely self managing. As soon as the lower float switch indicates the water level has dropped below it, the unit starts producing water, flushing the unit as is needed, and stops once the upper float switch indicates that the water has reached it. Waste to product water is extremely low at 1:1, which is better than anything else I have seen. The SpectraPure UHE 100 is definitely for gear heads and or advanced users.

I am going to stay out of comparing the filters and media as I have not run them side by side. However due to the reduced waste of the SpectraPure unit, you will generate more product water over the life of filters of identical quality, as compared to using them in a unit with a 3:1 waste ratio. Additionally due to the SpectraPure unit having a 2nd DI filter you will have more contact time with the product water insuring 0 tds longer than you can with a single DI filter. The result is a lower cost in source water and filters per gallon of 0 tds water generated.

The pricing of the two units is also very different. The IceCap unit is priced around $400, and seems to be targeting those that want more production and control than a 4 stage RO/DI system can deliver by itself, combined with the easy controls offered. The SpectraPure UEH 100 is priced around $810, and seems to be focused on those that want both more production, and lower cost per gallon of product water. Admittedly you have to make a lot of water for this unit to pay for the additional $400 in cost, but for those that need it it will pay for itself in saved waste water and longer lasting filters.

Now let the comments fly!

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok with what I have been reading, I am a little unsure about the full use of the RO/DI. do you only use RO/DI water mixed with the salt for tank. my understanding is that no tap water should touch the tank. PLEASE tell me if im wrong. in that case I have been looking at a few that were a little cheaper and did about 55g per day.
It really didnt bother me that the GPD was low cause I have 3 35g Rubbermaid garbage cans that i run the RO/DI into then i plan on salting 2 leaving 1 always pure. what is your tho0ought on this.
thank ya

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok with what I have been reading, I am a little unsure about the full use of the RO/DI. do you only use RO/DI water mixed with the salt for tank. my understanding is that no tap water should touch the tank. PLEASE tell me if im wrong. in that case I have been looking at a few that were a little cheaper and did about 55g per day.
It really didnt bother me that the GPD was low cause I have 3 35g Rubbermaid garbage cans that i run the RO/DI into then i plan on salting 2 leaving 1 always pure. what is your tho0ought on this.
thank ya
In this hobby RO/DI is used for mixing salt. Tap water = bad, RODI = good. Cheaper RODI units don't last as long and the 55g per day rating is within 24 hour period. It would take roughly 13-18 hours for 35 gallons of water.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby RO/DI is used for mixing salt. Tap water = bad, RODI = good. Cheaper RODI units don't last as long and the 55g per day rating is within 24 hour period. It would take roughly 14-18 hours for 35 gallons of water.
but I will be have big water changes for a few weeks so i need to pruduce 105gpd or at least 70gpd and i knew tap was bad but i need to confirm from another source .
im heavy into research so im wondering if i should get another trash can

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but I will be have big water changes for a few weeks so i need to pruduce 105gpd or at least 70gpd and i knew tap was bad but i need to confirm from another source .
so im just not sure what to get gph i don't want something really high, but i would like a can filled every 24 hours

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're over thinking this lol. How big is the tank and why would you need to perform large water changes? 100+ gallons a day is ideal. Mine is rated for 75gallons and works fine for me. Though, I run several nanos that don't require more than 5 gallon changes.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're over thinking this lol. How big is the tank and why would you need to perform large water changes? 100+ gallons a day is ideal. Mine is rated for 75gallons and works fine for me. Though, I run several nanos that don't require more than 5 gallon changes.
I I have a 100g and a 75g

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so see im just bouncing things off you to confirm in my head and in my binder, so i think i should be good with around 100gpd

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I have a 100g and a 75g
Tanks that size shouldn't need anymore than 15-20% changes every 2 - 4 weeks. I only perform 10% every two weeks. Water changes typically pertain to replenishing trace elements and/or nutrient export. But with tanks that size, you should be looking into(and not limited to) reactors for GFO and biopellets or refugiums for macro algae. Those would help with nutrients and keep water/salt mix costs down. Dosing trace elements will help too.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks that size shouldn't need anymore than 15-20% changes every 2 - 4 weeks. I only perform 10% every two weeks. Water changes typically pertain to replenishing trace elements and/or nutrient export. But with tanks that size, you should be looking into reactors for GFO and biopellets. Those would help with nutrients and keep water/salt mix costs down. Dosing trace elements will help too.
both tanks have a 75g sump/refugium under them and yes i got gfo's fr both tanks

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both tanks have a 75g sump/refugium under them and yes i got gfo's fr both tanks
Sounds good. Just plan on water changes once or twice a month. Some people go 6 months before a WC.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but in otherwise do you think....wait. i will have a standing 70g mixed with a 35g pure. that should work out

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and another quetion, my mother bought me this realy fancy digital refracto meter. what do i do with that

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back