The Journey - Reboot of the 120

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by pdiehm, Jun 20, 2017.

1. BoomCorals

BoomCorals www.boomcorals.com R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Toys For Kids Sponsor

Excellent

2. pdiehm

pdiehm Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

New sump, New plumbing. Skimmer going absolutely bonkers.

Full days work doing this. Wouldn’t recommend it to be done solo.

[​IMG]

BoomCorals likes this.
  3. pdiehm

Took 11 days but finally got the hippo eating in QT. I think the PraziPro treatment screwed its appetite up.

4. pdiehm

Ok, I made a conscious effort to do as little to my tank as possible over the last 3 months.

At last update, my Purple/Green slimer was brown (yuck). and I was moving into the red sea care program, using the growth recipe. Before I get into that, my green slimer is starting to turn green again, and most everything looks to be doing good. There's some pieces not so good, but that's reefing isnt it?

My last test was at 8.8 dkh, 3 NO3, 0.01 PO4, 445 Calcium and 1400 magnesium, changing 12.5 (approx) gallons per week.

Now my thoughts on the Red Sea Reef Care Program. It didn't work for me. I took about 8 weeks or so to get my alkalinity from 8.5ish to 12.5ish. The corals just didn't like that high of Alk. My Sunset monti retracted, my rainbow stylophora retracted, and others just didn't look right. It could be that I just couldn't get the dosing amounts right, but, who knows...

Since I've went back to the 9.0 dkh/430-450 Calcium/1400 magnesium, my corals have responded much better. The stylophora is out at all hours except night, the sunset is out all the time, the slimer is turning green again, and my cliff's acro may or may not make it. that's a TBD. Red Sea recommends NO3 of 1ppm, and PO4 of 0.01. Even using NO3PO4-x, I can't get my NO3 down to under 3ppm (dosing 10ml per day).

I'm sure the program works. It didn't for me. I'm back to the BRS 2 part, Red Sea Colors, and Reef Energy A & B. Once the Coral Pro salt is done, i'll move back to good ole Instant Ocean (unless Fritz salts have become more consistent). I'm dosing 24ml of 2 part daily right now, and am starting to look at adding another group of 4-5 SPS frags into the tank.

One last thing, the light. My Photon 48 continues to the bain of my existance. I'm running their sps program where it's on for 6 hours at 80% blue, 36% white, 1 hour of 50% blue on each end, and 1 hour of 20% blue on each end for a 10 hour light cycle. If you ask me what light I'll have this time next year...I'll probably say T5, 6 x80W (3 blue+, 1 actinic, 1 purple plus and 1 coral plus). I'm just seeing zero coral growth with the photon 48. I wonder if @Reef Breeders has any advice.

That's all for right now

BoomCorals likes this.
  5. pdiehm

Todays tests: 9.4 alk/440 calcium/1440 magnesium/2 NO3/0 PO4.

The slimer is turning more and more green every day. the slime on the rocks is disappearing more and more every day. lowered the light from 80/36 to 80/30. will take par readings right now.

6. pdiehm

Par readings were too low. At 100/36 they are:

Green slimer in the 330 range
    Cliffs in the 260-280
    Nauti in the 200 range
    Sunset Montipora in the 320 area
    Rainbow stylophora in the 200-220 area.

Draft saved Draft deleted