The Mandalorian on Disney+

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SPOILER ALERT: STOP READING NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THOUGHTS ON THE FIRST EPISODE

So I asked my FB friends this, and then I figured I'd post it here too to discuss with you guys. For those who have already started watching Disney+, what are your thoughts so far on The Mandalorian?

I'm not sure I like it... I feel like they've tried to make Boba Fett relatable (maybe even a good guy???), and I feel like that loses a major part of his appeal.

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that this isn't Boba Fett. Even if he escaped the Sarlacc pit and is alive (as I've read in other places), this isn't meant to be him, so with that information, I'm trying to watch more with an open mind to character development.

Last edited:

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had low expectations after the last run of garbage. Next best thing next to rogue one since the reboot. Also, Boba Fett is dead as far as we're concerned and the character we are following right now is an unnamed mandalorian.
Good point plus they did quite a bit with the mandalorians in the Star Wars Rebels animated series. Any clue on what time period this is set in?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good point plus they did quite a bit with the mandalorians in the Star Wars Rebels animated series. Any clue on what time period this is set in?
It's post-Empire, so I believe it follows Return of the Jedi.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes place like 5 or 10 years after Episode VI. I can't remember what the one interview I read said. It's early post empire before the rise of the first order.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Boba Fett is dead as far as we're concerned and the character we are following right now is an unnamed mandalorian.
So, supposedly Boba Fett somehow managed to escape the Sarlacc pit (at least that's what I've read), so he's supposedly alive after RoJ (which is why I thought this was supposed to be him. But you are correct, after a bit more research, this isn't Boba Fett. That fact opens up the character a lot more, so I'll be more open-minded about his development. I'll keep watching and see what happens.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more excited for the Avengers: Endgame deleted scene where Tony Stark gets to meet a grownup Morgan similar to how Thanos saw Gamora when he snapped. It's suppose to be a real tear jerker.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I plan on watching this but I'm going to wait until later. Maybe X-mass break.
I heard the demand was so huge there were issues.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very excited but disappointed after episode 1. The music track needs to get dropped, it was terrible (an attempt to turn it into a typical modern Disney semi-musical?). I'll give it two more episodes but lame so far.

U

User1

View Badges
I plan on watching this but I'm going to wait until later. Maybe X-mass break.
I heard the demand was so huge there were issues.

There are a lot of issues with it. The demand was due to the limited time price offer for a year subscription. If streaming is your thing then the Disney package was one of the best deals in town. I don't work for them but I will say there is no way they could manage the roll out. Look at how long it took NetFlix to setup their network and CDN.

Not bashing them. I looked at the package offering and saw a really good deal. However, my children are all grown up and I do not see much value or return for me at the moment. Maybe later but my personal opinion is that content specific to a provider is going to backfire. People are not going to be doing ala cart streaming services much longer as the total price is starting to catch on.

As far as the Mandalorian character - no idea. The one thing I've learned over the years is that there are a lot of things most people miss if they don't watch all of the other content that tries and tie it all together. So I can understand the few of us just watching the movies being left out if it was covered in other projects.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually thought it was really good, the music was a little to modern (there were electric guitars with the orchestra) but other than that keeping an open mind while watching it, following as a new timeline and characters I was intrigued. I watched it on kodi though not disney+

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reason im happy. Any star wars fan should be... We finally get to learn about Yodas species and what he is. Just look at how deadly it could end up being.... It already has its jedi robes. LOL I also like how dark it was, and the Robot bounty hunter... We need one to join the group... That thing was amazing, funny, and just overall a good robot character to make it feel "homey." But it seems the mandalorian is racist against droids haha
baby yoda.jpg

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reason im happy. Any star wars fan should be... We finally get to learn about Yodas species and what he is. Just look at how deadly it could end up being.... It already has its jedi robes. LOL I also like how dark it was, and the Robot bounty hunter... We need one to join the group... That thing was amazing, funny, and just overall a good robot character to make it feel "homey." But it seems the mandalorian is racist against droids haha
baby yoda.jpg

Cute now.

MikeSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I like it... I feel like they've tried to make Boba Fett relatable (maybe even a good guy???), and I feel like that loses a major part of his appeal.
Is that actually Boba Fett? I mean sure it looks like him, but then he walked into the building and there were "fetts" all over the place, I don't know enough about SW lore to know if the Mandalorians were a group of people (i.e. all the helmet wearing guys/girls) or if it's specifically one person. But yeah making him into an "anti-hero" definitely seems way too campy if they're going that route.

When is the "time frame" of this show? They mentioned the empire was gone which is why he didn't want the empire credits, so is this between Ep 6 and 7? or between 3 and 4? Or sometime earlier/later?

And yeah, not sure if I like it either. But I'll give more episodes a watch just to make sure I don't like it if that's the case or maybe I will like it. Even though it was short, the whole "learn how to ride the... <whatever that thing was>" was not needed, come on it's a 30 minute show, we don't need a training montage like Rocky.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back