The Mini Cooper - RSR 170

QueryLifeDecisions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I built my first reef tank back in 2012 and unfortunately had to shut it down as I had to move into a place that couldn't support it. My dear mother absolutely loved the tank, and decided a few months ago that she wanted one in her place (after some not-so-subtle coercion from me)! She had a look around and had her eye set on a RSR 170, so a few weeks ago we made plans to set one up and now the time has come! Equipment is here, I'm on two weeks break, let's see if we can start a new tank!

I call this tank the Mini Cooper, because it is a small tank but I'm hoping it'll still pack a heck of a punch! I've designed it to minimise maintenance, maximise quality and flexibility for her. She is most interested in soft and LPS corals - hopefully I'm setting her up for success with this build.

Equipment List:
  • 1 x Gen III Radion XR30 from my old build
  • 1 x Ecotech Vortech MP10 (/w battery backup)
  • 2 x Ecotech Vectra S2: one for return, one to power a manifold for...
    • 1 x TLF PhosBan Reactor 150 running carbon
    • 1 x Teco-1000 Chiller
    • 1 x Pax Bellum N18 Algae Reactor (potential future addition depending on how nutrients go)
    • 1 x spare port
  • Ecotech Reeflink
  • Clarisea SK-3000
  • Octo Essence 130 Skimmer
  • 2 x Maxspect Bioblock
  • Auto Aqua AWC
  • Seneye Reef
  • E-Koral 4 Channel WiFi Doser, running Aquaforest Components 3-part + NO3:pO4-X
It'll be a tight squeeze in this cabinet - wish me luck!

hww5NnY.jpg

OP
OP
Q

QueryLifeDecisions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It. Is. ALIVE! I’ll show some pictures from the sump when I’ve made it a tad prettier, but for now, here she is in all her cycling glory. Going along with Dr. Tim’s fishless method. End of day 8 and have only made one ammonia addition so it’s going a little slower than I expected, but nitrites and nitrates are on the rise so something has to be happening!

EA0B81B0-4ABD-4DFF-B392-69BBEE3ECCE2.jpeg
3DC7F108-0507-4E1C-83EC-540AC7CE628A.jpeg

OP
OP
Q

QueryLifeDecisions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody can accuse me of not maximising space! Cord management leaves a little to be desired but to hell...

Day 15 of cycle and still waiting for nitrites to die down, though nitrates are coming through. They say patience is a virtue I guess...

20190712_144050.jpg

20190712_144059.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 50 72.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back