OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm wondering if maybe I should have went with the oolite on mine ;Bored I'm looking at some sand dwellers as well, my Red Scooter did just fine with the Fiji pink but maybe I should've got something finer
Andrew's Mandarin was actually the reason I chose that.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joe at Glass Cages was super nice about this whole project. He agreed to make the stand with no issues at all. I was honestly impressed that he only had positive comments about other tank manufacturers.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been waiting impatiently for this build ever since you told me about it....

I have that feeling you wield right at the beginning of a highly anticipated action movie.

Queue dramatic music.
Don't all of our tanks have a soundtrack in our heads? Lol

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if maybe I should have went with the oolite on mine ;Bored I'm looking at some sand dwellers as well, my Red Scooter did just fine with the Fiji pink but maybe I should've got something finer
The pink is the next grade up. You should be fine.
IDK, lots of people say oolite is terrible and creates a sandstorm.
The first day it's bad but it's fine after that. Oh and the first few times it's disturbed but it settles quickly. You will love the feel and look.
IMG_20200118_210546664.jpg
IMG_20200120_162143881.jpg
IMG_20200119_150056392.jpg

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Glennf's systems & his philosophy about how to set up & run a tank & thought you may like to consider his procedure for start-up Katrina?
I cut some bits from his web page, simple stuff, but sometimes overlooked - http://dsrreefing.com/fulldsr/

The Full DSR start:
In the DSR start ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate spikes are undesirable. During these spikes a lot of encrusting dies, rewarding you with a flourishing green algae carpet. The worst thing to do is to dump a large amount of live rock into the system at any time.

Many encrusting will die and nutrient peeks will be inevitable. I prefer gradually seeding the system with small batches of live rock.

• zero nutrients and add them yourself when you need them, thereby minimize nutrients spikes and speeding up cycling time.
  • control lighting to minimize nuisance algae growths (no lights first 2 weeks)
  • scaping with dead/cured rock and gradually adding small batches of fresh life rock speeds up the seeding process without the nutrients peaks
Prevent algae growth:
During the start-up minimizing nutrients is essential, because adding them in this stage will only fuel algae growth.
NO3 and PO4 supplementation is only needed for corals (with defficïency symptoms) and only when the algae’s are under control by the cleaning crew (snails/urchins/tangs)
ignore NO3+ and PO4+ supplementation during start-up phase or change targets to 0,0 ppm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Congrats and Very nice. Wondered a couple of weeks ago if this ever came through.
I WOULD NEVER BE SO LUCKY!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back