0   0   0
20200628_090414.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from a local Physician/Pathologist (Staff at our local Pathology Lab) on COVID testing. I thought that it was interesting and thought I would share it here. Just helpful info, not controversial.

Dr. John VanHoose

6/27/20
When it comes to COVID testing, there is a lot of misinformation out there, as well as a lot we still don’t know about the biology of the virus. But, given the number of young people who are testing positive as we began to relax the lockdown, I think I need to dispel a few myths regarding testing.

There are two basic types of tests that are available right now: PCR (and its variants) and antibody tests. The PCR tests are to evaluate for acute current infection. The antibody test can only tell you if you have had it in the past. It tells you nothing about current possible infection, and only helps the government know how many people have truly had the disease.

It is only recommended to test people who are currently symptomatic. Testing of asymptomatic individuals likely will only give a false-negative result. Furthermore, a positive test tells you something. A negative test basically tells you nothing. Let me repeat that again. Positive tests are helpful. Negative tests, not so much. Repeat this to yourself. Over and over. Until it sinks in. A negative test does not mean you do not have COVID.

I see so many people making this mistake, from the media to politicians to other physicians. They want the assurity that a negative test means you are safe. This is not true. I have heard from plenty of people who got an exposure, and called me that day saying they wanted to be tested. Those tests will almost always be negative, unless they were already a silent carrier. This is because their body has not yet had time to develop a reaction to the exposure. This may take days to occur (the incubation period is 1-14 days, with most getting symptoms after 4-6 days). But if you test too soon, you may think you are negative, and go visit grandma. In reality, you were positive, but tested too soon, and now you have given it to grandma. Same for travel situations.

The infectious period (the time you are able to spread the virus) lasts from 1-3 days before symptoms, and in the first 7 days after symptoms begin. This is why a positive tells you something - you have the virus. A negative does not mean that you don’t have the virus. Furthermore, let’s say you are truly negative on a test today. There is nothing that says you can’t get exposed tonight or tomorrow, depending on to whom you were around.

So, when should you test? The answer here is, it depends. There is no treatment other than for symptoms, and no cure or prevention (vaccine). If you had a possible close exposure (less than 6 feet for greater than 15 minutes with no PPE), you need to quarantine yourself regardless of the test results for 14 days. If you are positive, you need to quarantine for 10 days after onset of symptoms and be free of symptoms for 3 days before returning to work. Positive patients in the work environment must mask for 30 days (this is a Path lab requirement - not part of CDC guidelines). If someone has been symptom-free for 3 days, and they developed their first symptoms more than 10 days prior, they are no longer considered to be infectious.

Should you retest after being positive? Probably not, because many people remain PCR positive for an extended period (perhaps as many as 30-45 days). But, the most recent groups of studies have shown that the highest viral load occurs 2-3 days before you develop symptoms, and gradually declines over the next week. Even if a positive PCR test persists, virtually no one has transmitted the virus 8 days after onset of symptoms. When viral RNA is persistent in these patients it represents non-viable virus and such patients are considered non-infectious.

The antibody test, if positive, shows you have been exposed to COVID and are making antibodies, right? So I am protected? Again, not necessarily. Your body may make neutralizing or non-neutralizing antibodies. If you make the latter, you basically have no immunity at all. Even if you do make protective neutralizing antibodies, they only hang around about 8 weeks. Then you are totally unprotected again. We know this because we do see patients get COVID a second time. Again, another reason that the antibody test is not very helpful.

I know that a lot of you are anxious, and many of you are wanting to get tested. One thing I always tell my clinical colleagues is to not treat lab values, but treat the patient. That has never been more true than with COVID. Laboratory results are very helpful, but you need to assess them in the context of the patient, and recognize what the results really mean, not what you want them to mean.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the best exfoliator. It's super glue. I found aptasia on the rock with my new coral. I was putting it back in the tank and touched the super glue. Both hands have the super glue with bits of sand.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Purple Tang once that went over to a newly placed frag and took a nibble of the super glue. His mouth was glued shut for a couple of days before he was able to shed it.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the best exfoliator. It's super glue. I found aptasia on the rock with my new coral. I was putting it back in the tank and touched the super glue. Both hands have the super glue with bits of sand.

If I am placing something on the scape and don't have glue on my fingers it probably won't stay where I placed it! ;)

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the anemone moved into the office tank, so there's an anemone in each tank now!
The office tank heater was ramped pretty high, had to unplug it, anemone was ticked off at first.
He went from 78 to 80 degrees.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look look a get to make an overhang. 6.33lbs (2.87 kilogram ) flat rock. The plan was to increase the scape on the left side of the tank. Spent most of the after fiddling with the scape. Rocks did not want to increase the height on the left side.

20200628_133958.jpg

First attempt
20200628_145618.jpg

I hated the middle of the scape no swim through.
Final
20200628_180233.jpg

@najer I didnt want you to have to do math.

Last edited:

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During rescapinf of the tank. I pulled off some keyna trees and one fell onto a paly. No pig deal I all remove it. Finished what i was doing and the paly was eating it.
20200628_163408.jpg

Granted it was small but oh my goodness

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back