The most difficult fish to catch in a reef tank...

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far for me it was a mantis shrimp, I know not a fish. He came in the live rock that was shipped from the south Pacific. Lived the week or so in rock wrapped in newspaper. And back then they recommend a 20 minute fresh water dip, to remove pests. Well he made it through that too. Tank was a 300 gallon, he lived through the cycle. And about a year and a half later I started losing fish. This all was 30 years ago at least maybe a little longer.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dagum anthias I can't get out of my tank to let it run fallow. I took out everything and the fish disappeared. Put everything back in and guess who shows up a couple of hours later. I really need to get that darn fish out of my tank....

I finally caught it!!! Had to remove all the rock work (again) and put the rock where it was hiding in a 5 gallon bucket to coax it out. Hallelujah!

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellowtail damselfish. I had to remove all of my Fiji liverock to get him out. Meanest fish I've ever owned. He chased and nipped at everything in the tank. I didn't even feel guilty about flushing him.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, this was a fun thread! I would love to hear more!!!

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of fish the worst for me was a pair of peppermint shrimp in complex rockwork. I ended draining my tank to 10% and still it took me an hour to catch them. I ended up breaking apart my rockwork to get them
Wow, I can imagine that took forever! I have a freshwater tank that I was changing from sand to gravel, I had a few shrimp and I had to almost drain the entire tank to get them. I can imagine how hard it would be to catch marine ones. :eek:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back