The myth that LED lights last forever

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I mean 100% will be under 12w, while they take a recommended 48w. Should produce very little heat.

Edit: these are the strips, 6.5k w/ heatsink
Edit2: forgot link; https://growdaddyleds.com/products/...ds-with-450mm-heatsink?variant=32483316531255
Edit3: Driver; https://www.jameco.com/z/ODLV-45-48...7-LED-Driver-Driver-with-Dimming_2264271.html
Ok so you are running the them at 25% power. That's nice. Whey should run for a very long time.

But your driver choice is a bit strange. The strips need 24V 1.8A but the driver puts out 48V at 0.9A. I am sure you have figured that all out, but I personally would have looked for a driver with 24v 1.8A output and put the four strips parallel to make the wiring more simple. These aren't dimmable right?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you are running the them at 25% power. That's nice. Whey should run for a very long time.

But your driver choice is a bit strange. The strips need 24V 1.8A but the driver puts out 48V at 0.9A. I am sure you have figured that all out, but I personally would have looked for a driver with 24v 1.8A output and put the four strips parallel to make the wiring more simple. These aren't dimmable right?
Mis-read the strips 2 in series is 48V (24x2) so that is fine
Current will be split between the 2 parallel branch so .94/2
Constant current region starts at 100% voltage output.
The driver choice is a bit odd.

22.5W each series group of strips
45w total

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The OP's point was not they they were the "same" - he tried to flailing make the intellectual argument that LEDs are inferior when all things are considered.
BTW - The OP's point was that it's a myth that LEDs last for ever. Thats the title and it's mentioned multiple times in his OP. Somehow - as usual threads like this end up devolving into which is better LED or MH with multiple spectral pictures, etc. Of course it's a myth that LED's last forever, they do not. My point was that at WORST, they are the same. IMHO - there are multiple advantages of LED's over other types. There are also some disadvantages. Except for the fact that MH may not be around that much longer, IMHO, its up to the individual what they like best

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it matters a LOT for people on tiered rates. So that extra few kWH may put people into the next tier and be the difference between affordable and not.
This is indeed true. I took down my tank the end of August. The top tier of our electricity is multiples more expensive than the lowest tier

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mis-read the strips 2 in series is 48V (24x2) so that is fine
Current will be split between the 2 parallel branch so .94/2
Constant current region starts at 100% voltage output.
The driver choice is a bit odd.

22.5W each series group of strips
45w total
Yeah I figured something like this will be the case. Still I don't want to miss the dimm function on my meanwell-LDH drivers anymore. I use them more often than I thought.

How effective are thermal conductive adhesive tapes nowadays? I tried to use thermal tape on 3 watt cree leds 6-7 years ago and they burned out in just 3 months. Since then i only use screws and thermal paste.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - The OP's point was that it's a myth that LEDs last for ever. Thats the title and it's mentioned multiple times in his OP. Somehow - as usual threads like this end up devolving into which is better LED or MH with multiple spectral pictures, etc. Of course it's a myth that LED's last forever, they do not. My point was that at WORST, they are the same. IMHO - there are multiple advantages of LED's over other types. There are also some disadvantages. Except for the fact that MH may not be around that much longer, IMHO, its up to the individual what they like best
Nothing last forever but LEDs last for a very long time, IF the light is properly engineered. Often it isn't and they burn out prematurely.
Also the mayority of luminescence loss happens mainly in the first years. After that they stabilize. I think it was 10% -20% loss in the first year. Depending how hard they are driven. After a few years they dont degrade much anymore.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i like turtles GIF

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - The OP's point was that it's a myth that LEDs last for ever. Thats the title and it's mentioned multiple times in his OP.

Actually. - my response to you about his point was in context to your comments framing his point and more precisely, paraphrasing his general take on the subject. To that end, his point really was not the title to the thread, it was clickbait to get you to read his case that LEDs suck. So the BTW is kind of misplaced ;)

Somehow - as usual threads like this end up devolving into which is better LED or MH with multiple spectral pictures, etc. Of course it's a myth that LED's last forever, they do not.
This didn't devolve into that, it is what his driving premise was to begin with.

BTW ;)
It is a myth that steel is made of cherry jello...
Kinda hard to classify something as a "myth" when really nobody is saying it or believes it. The OP posted click bait to argue that LEDs suck.

I am not looking for a back and forth about his point, or yours. I get what you are saying and as for the OP, I think he is mostly uninformed and biased, but doesn't even really know why.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The OP knew what they were doing unless they were really that clueless that this thread would devolve into what it became.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the meanwell odlv has 3in1 dimming. I do have an Apex and VDM. I figured this would probably be the best white light route for a 36" Aquatic Life g2 instead of mounting on a single t5 with the GE 6.5k bulb.
Actually. - my response to you about his point was in context to your comments framing his point and more precisely, paraphrasing his general take on the subject. To that end, his point really was not the title to the thread, it was clickbait to get you to read his case that LEDs suck. So the BTW is kind of misplaced ;)

This didn't devolve into that, it is what his driving premise was to begin with.

BTW ;)
It is a myth that steel is made of cherry jello...
Kinda hard to classify something as a "myth" when really nobody is saying it or believes it. The OP posted click bait to argue that LEDs suck.
It's obviously blue raspberry, that's how you get the silver like shine. As the blue deteriorates, the natural raspberry color comes out

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking I might light my next reef with candles...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many enthusiasts have long favored LEDs over T5s, citing the belief that while T5 bulbs require annual replacement, LEDs will remain robust for over a decade. But where did this enduring myth about the infinite lifespan of LEDs originate?

Prominent manufacturers such as Kessil highlight a life expectancy of 35,000 hours for their lights, which translates to around 5-7 years for the average user. Similarly, Philips' coral care lights advertise 25,000 hours at full light output, amounting to just 2.5 years or up to 5 years if operated for 12 hours daily.

Considering the quality reputation of these brands, one might infer that other less renowned brands might offer even shorter lifespans. A notable observation from a forum memeber mentioned that the Red Sea ReefLed 90, which originally emitted 800 par directly underneath when new, declined to 600 par after just two years.

Moreover, there have been accounts of hobbyists who, upon integrating a second identical LED unit, observed noticeable discrepancies in brightness even with identical settings.

This evidence suggests that LEDs, akin to traditional bulbs, experience degradation over time, with shifts in spectral output mirroring that of bulbs and tubes. Contrary to popular belief, studies by BRS have shown that T5 tubes can function effectively for more than 18 months before requiring replacement. Furthermore, they offer superior light spread compared to other sources. This accentuates the argument that LED fixtures dont really provide value for their cost. If one were to compare, they'd only need three sets of T5 bulb replacements over the lifespan of an average LED fixture and would likely achieve superior results, especially with specific corals like sps.
LED manufacturers - when quoting lifetime for LEDs don't mean that LEDs will die after their lifespan is over. Most lights will run far longer (if not indefinitely long) - provided they are well looked after (good thermal management). The quoted lifespan usually translates into ~30% reduction in luminous output by the end of "lifespan".

So provided your fixture brightness is not maxed out when you buy your lights - you can "extend" the lifespan by ramping the lights intensity up as the fixture ages (thus keeping luminous output constant).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED manufacturers - when quoting lifetime for LEDs don't mean that LEDs will die after their lifespan is over. Most lights will run far longer (if not indefinitely long) - provided they are well looked after (good thermal management). The quoted lifespan usually translates into ~30% reduction in luminous output by the end of "lifespan".

So provided your fixture brightness is not maxed out when you buy your lights - you can "extend" the lifespan by ramping the lights intensity up as the fixture ages (thus keeping luminous output constant).
The "push" in commercial lighting is an L80 rating.
So 80%.

That said except for the Coralcare (based on faith) I doubt if ANY aquarium light fixtures as a whole unit has EVER been L-whatever tested.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back