The Natural Water Experiment

Shinte122305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heater malfunctioned in my DT raiding the temp to 97. Got it back down to 80 throughout the evening so now I’m waiting to see what happens, hence no time for anything else at this point but! Hopefully the temp killed off the Aiptasia... tbd. My fish are alive, all corals look rough...

Hey if your dealing with an Aptasia issue i HIGHLY reccomend you visit this site i linked at the bottom and buy some bergia nudibranches. They do not go after corals i put them to treat my frag tank with over 100 frags and all aptasia was killed off with zero corals harmed. best thing i have ever used for it it literally was a miracle lol.

https://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-nudibranch

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey if your dealing with an Aptasia issue i HIGHLY reccomend you visit this site i linked at the bottom and buy some bergia nudibranches. They do not go after corals i put them to treat my frag tank with over 100 frags and all aptasia was killed off with zero corals harmed. best thing i have ever used for it it literally was a miracle lol.

https://saltyunderground.com/category/berghia-nudibranch

Thanks I’ll look into it. Currently not touching anything in my tank. The Aiptasia are not near anything so there fine for now I’ll tackle that after my coral bounce back from a heater issue, or don’t either way. And I will get rock and lighting on the garage test tank this evening when I get home. Will test parameters as well.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting that glass scrubber off Amazon?

No I haven’t yet, I was leaning to a flipped scraper. My wife keeps my paychecks from my full time job, but I also do catering on the side for tank stuff! Get a check tomorrow from that.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1224.JPG

Added lighting (FluvalSmart bar it will do for these purposes) water is still clean put some dry rock I had hanging around in there too. Will see if any algae grown. Still not full of sea water I told my buddy who I have been boating with and getting the water that I was going to make water to make up the difference while he was gone and he said “that’s cheating just wait until I get back” so I’m sticking to that because he’s right. Old heater, old filter, old rock, old light, $1 gallon sale at petco, free water. Nothing to loose! I’m in to this experiment for less than $25 I’ll test parameters later tonight. Thanks for watching folks.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there is some ammonia and nitrate, How much, hard to tell with api
Alk 180 ppm
Salinity 1.026
Temp 82.9
I turned the heat down to 77 it’s been hot up here in the PNW
Well hot for our standards and my garage is not insulated.
7373ba26fa1358427787c30721bba7a3.jpg

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using natural seawater for 40 years pulled 400 gallons this morning

From where? I have not had anyone respond who actually does this? What’s your process? Do you need to treat it? What’s the temperature difference? And have you ran into any troubles? Sorry I have 500 questions.

swampy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live north of Boston, ran natural see water for years keeping mostly LPS and zoas and never hand any issues. Usually add a bit of salt as the salinity can be a bit lower than a reef.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used NSW 2 X in my tanks.
once in hawaii I would take a cpl 5 gal bucket to rocky shore where no one went .
the other is when I lived in santa barba they had free saltwater for reefers at the collage they pump in water and filter it through a large sand filter. many reefers used it.

both times no issue but tanks where only up around a year then moved.

i would think if you run the water through a supper fine fine sock then heated you would be ok but like said more live lives in cold water than tropical.
great experiment hope you find a way to get "free" water

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing really new to report, I was out of town. Tank is still not full but I’m going to head out Thursday and get more water. I have seen some diatom growth on the rocks and glass. I’ll take pictures when I get home tonight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had thoughts bof using ocean water when I move to Florida and concluded i am NOT willing to assume parasites and other foreign matter that will take me more time to acquire than to mix a trusted batch of tank water.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all just a tank and water, minimal effort and equipment. Just wasted energy on a experiment tank. No biggie. Really getting this water probably cost more than making it. Boat, trailer, car, boat gas, registration ect.... But why not check it out. Could be the greatest thing ever! Never know. Some great things were created on accident.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, that sucks! I honestly think the high temp could have caused the aiptasia to reproduce...a lot...because it felt it was in danger. I hope not though. Glad your fish are alive
Recently one of my DT hit 95+(kinked hose to chiller), all that survived was aiptasia and snails. Lost 20+ baby sun polyp corals,and other corals

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Aiptasia after all. But that’s beside the point. Test tank is full finally. Took longer than expected to get it filled. Long day and I’m tired but it’s filled. Sunday I can run some tests on the water. tomorrow is a busy day with work. Regular job in the morning followed by two catering gigs and I have to squeeze boating out to check and re bait my crab pots. I’ll snag some new water to do a water change on test tank Monday or Tuesday.

OP
OP
Jamo7

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
339726ccd7cbc3ff294accb3adf38d12.jpg
0494221943961ba2c23663bf497f87a0.jpg
508f726a0755020acc4d61cbd73f9041.jpg

Here’s some pictures full. I have another 5 gallons I gathered today that I’m going to change out after dinner. I needed some snails for my DT so I tossed a turbo snail in test tank, he cruising around doing what he does.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I supplement my tank with NSW. That’s to get all the bacteria and other microbes in my tank. I’m not worried about parasites. Paul B uses only NSW in his tanks, I’ve read. You’ll have ammonia from sea water because of die-off of whatever is in the water. So you’ll still have to cycle your tank. Wait for your rocks to collect bacteria. Or you could add in some bottled stuff.

About 20 years ago I used to keep a FOWLR with water from the ocean in Hawaii. No fish ever died and never had problems really. Had some cool hitchhikers and I had no idea what they were. There wasn’t much info on the internet back then. Good luck. I’m interested in seeing what comes of this.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back