The Nautilus peninsula aquarium

Loving it!
 
The Tank:
You waited long enough, so now I am pleased to introduce you to the aquarium.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
 
Looking at the photos, the tank looks so huge compared to the stand. Well it's nearly as big. But after I get the aquarium running, I'll start skinning it.

My wife wants me to get plantation shutters on all the windows before I fill it, but this is something I'll hire out as my next project is changing out control arms and oil pan gasket on her 2010 BMW. (I want to do this to show the kids the importance of understanding how to work on cars) If they don't like the experience I hope the alternative lesson I'm expecting to teach them is the importance of higher education so that they can pay somebody else to do it.

The stand will have a 4"x2" ledge all the way around the top..... Thats all I've planned for thus far.
 
Last edited:
Sleek!
 
Thank you all for the nice comments! It's been a fun ride and I still have not got the aquarium wet.

Maybe tomorrow I'll run the hose to it for a water test.
 
Yes! we finally get to see the tank in all it's glory
That's how I feeling. But I know how much more work I have to go.

Rock work
Hang lights
Skin the stand
Finish sump (sock filters)
Dosing setup
Rework the internal overflow

And there's more I am sure.

Today was spent trading the UVXY!
 
I really enjoyed reading through this build, something about watching someone build from scratch is way better than a build updated with "bought tank, bought stand, bought sump".

Very nice silicone work, I blew the pics up on my PC looking for flaws(I'm ocd) and it looks great.

If you don't mind, where did you get your glass from and what did it set you back for the tank and sump?
 
I really enjoyed reading through this build, something about watching someone build from scratch is way better than a build updated with "bought tank, bought stand, bought sump".

Very nice silicone work, I blew the pics up on my PC looking for flaws(I'm ocd) and it looks great.

If you don't mind, where did you get your glass from and what did it set you back for the tank and sump?
Thank you. I only wish I had taken more pictures along the way using my Nikon instead of my old iPhone 5.
Glass has been sourced locally. Tank and sump were less than $400 total.
 
I'm very pleased with how everything is turning out, but I still have a long ways to go.

I still need to figure out what skimmer to get, so please send me your thoughts on skimmers.

I have two AI Hydra 52's and think I want to pick up another. Should I get the HD version or find a used 52?
 
Beautiful job!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new