The new Formosa Forest

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with the 18" height? Any regret not going a bit higher? I ask because I'm torn between an 18" height and 20" height. 18" height saves me $1K in acrylic price over the 20" height due to thickness of material. But, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll miss those extra 2" over the span of the 48" width of the tank in terms of viewing. Any advice?

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with the 18" height? Any regret not going a bit higher? I ask because I'm torn between an 18" height and 20" height. 18" height saves me $1K in acrylic price over the 20" height due to thickness of material. But, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll miss those extra 2" over the span of the 48" width of the tank in terms of viewing. Any advice?
It depends on what you want with the tank in terms of aquascape, growth form of corals etc. In the farm all the tanks have a standard height of 18”, so that was the most ideal for us. Personally, for a home aquarium, I would go a bit higher, 20” already makes a big difference. You will have much more options and flexibility when it comes to aquascape and Coral placement.

Kind regards, Leo

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Leonardo_ I just listened to the Reefbum live where you were a guest. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences! You’ve inspired me to try a single species SPS build in the future. How is this project coming along?

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Leonardo_ I just listened to the Reefbum live where you were a guest. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences! You’ve inspired me to try a single species SPS build in the future. How is this project coming along?
Hi, thanks for listening to the podcast, glad you liked it! Good to hear it inspired you :)

Podcast can be found here:

The tank is completely overgrown, will have some photos soon before we break it down. Instead there will be a tank double the size with an attached LPS and mangrove lagoon. More about that asap ;)

Regards, Leo

StubbyAcro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Leonardo, I also got to know you from Reefbum. Your coral systems are freaking awesome. I was actually checking out your old Formosa Forest build thread on Reef Central but the Photobucket watermark is annoying. If you still have pictures of your old Formosa Forest tank, could you perhaps post some of them here?

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Leonardo, I also got to know you from Reefbum. Your coral systems are freaking awesome. I was actually checking out your old Formosa Forest build thread on Reef Central but the Photobucket watermark is annoying. If you still have pictures of your old Formosa Forest tank, could you perhaps post some of them here?
Thank you! I must have them somewhere on a backup disk. I’ll have a look and post them here.

Leo

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back