OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never thought of using travertine tile for frag plugs. I do remodels and I always tend to have leftovers. Yay me.
I only recently came across threads in which I saw people using travertine tiles. I followed their advice and soaked them in RO/DI water for a few days to remove the fine dust.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always add some leds to ati fixture for actinic dawn/dusk lighting.
I have been thinking about adding some Reefbrites to the front and back of the fixture to provide a dusk-dawn effect. I’ll likely give it a few months before making changes to my lighting since I just switched from Radions to T5s; even at the same PAR, some corals have began to pale, so I’m making changes to the height of the lights to better acclimate them.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I need to cut more tiles to make it an even fifty. :)

666D8A37-778C-423C-82BD-53AFEAF4820E.jpeg

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the recent weekend, I decided to stop at a local home improvement store and purchase three 8-packs of 3"x6" travertine tiles to use for growing corals on. After using my new Gryphon AquaSaw to cut each tile in half, I ended up with 48 3"x3" tiles for less than $15. I used to use Oceans Wonders 3"x3" tiles, but they have a cost of $1/tile, whereas the travertine tiles ended up costing less than $0.35/tile.
IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0233.jpg

Also, I picked up a voltage meter from @TheHarold to keep an eye on the state of my EcoTech battery backup. After plugging in the meter and unplugging the charger, I noted that my battery needs replaced since the meter detected 10.5 volts instead of the 12 volts that a healthy battery should produce. So, I ordered a new battery from Amazon, which should arrive on Wednesday. Once I have a free evening, I will remove the original battery and replace it with the new battery.

IMG_0272.JPG

71ty2HAtrJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The $40 cost of the replacement battery was much more appealing than the $180 cost of a replacement directly from EcoTech. :cool:
This battery functions just like EcoTech‘s? You keep it plugged in all the time and also connect the MP40 whatever you are wanting to provide power backup? How do you connect everything?

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This battery functions just like EcoTech‘s?
Yep, it’s just a replacement lead-acid battery that has the same connections, voltage, and size as the one that EcoTech puts inside of their housing.

You keep it plugged in all the time and also connect the MP40 whatever you are wanting to provide power backup?
That’s correct! As long as it’s a compatible EcoTech VorTech and/or Vectra, then you simply leave the controller linked to the battery backup at all times. Then, when power is cut (power outage, test), the battery backup detects a loss of power and kicks on to supply your equipment with power.

How do you connect everything?
Basically, just remove the bolts that connect the wires on the housing to the original battery’s terminals, and pop the original battery out of the housing. Then, connect the housing’s wires to the new battery and place the battery into the housing. That’s it! :cool:

Watch this video if you want to see it done:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Getting a full blown frag tank started is my next project too.

mtnrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it’s just a replacement lead-acid battery that has the same connections, voltage, and size as the one that EcoTech puts inside of their housing.

That’s correct! As long as it’s a compatible EcoTech VorTech and/or Vectra, then you simply leave the controller linked to the battery backup at all times. Then, when power is cut (power outage, test), the battery backup detects a loss of power and kicks on to supply your equipment with power.

Basically, just remove the bolts that connect the wires on the housing to the original battery’s terminals, and pop the original battery out of the housing. Then, connect the housing’s wires to the new battery and place the battery into the housing. That’s it! :cool:

Watch this video if you want to see it done:

Thank you very much for the explanations!

what brand/model of voltage meter do you use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cabinet is coming our real nice. I wish I had the same carpentry skills as you do.
Unfortunately, I don’t have carpentry skills, which is why @Billdogg did the work. I couldn’t be happier with them. I’ll get some updated photos loaded after work today—it’s been busy around the house and at work, so I’ve had to focus my time elsewhere. What’s left before transferring livestock is is plumbing and leak-testing. I’m ready to get that started.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my stand and cabinet from @Billdogg a couple of weeks ago, but I've been quite busy with work and home life, so the frag system had to sit idly. However, I was able to begin work on it within the last week.

As you can see below, the light bars that I installed are quite bright. They are linkable LED modules from The Home Depot, and they have two brightness settings, which provide more-than-adequate visibility. The white paint on the inside helps reflect the light, which which the black paint on my current stand reduced. There is also a thick layer of Flex Seal on the bottoms of both the stand and cabinet, which will reduce the chances of water touching the floor should a leak arise. The leak detectors that I have connected to my Apex will continue to provide redundancy against possible water damage.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

I ordered a Trigger Systems 10g Triton ATO reservoir, which is well-made. It has engraved markings to indicate how many gallons are remaining, an adjustable opening for cords to prevent evaporation, a clear lid to prevent evaporation, and a John Guest fitting to allow the passthrough of tubing to cleanly connect the pump to the sump.

5.jpeg

I ordered rigid tubing to install my PMUP, which keeps it from toppling over in the reservoir, and it provides a better aesthetic.

6.jpeg

Sadly, I have been battling dinoflagellates (Ostreopsis), which you can see in the following video and image.

8.jpeg

Unfortunately, they took the life of my Hawkin's Acropora echinata.

9.jpeg

I picked up a 57-watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer, which I connected to the display of my current system. It's sitting in a spare 20g aquarium so that any possible leaks will be contained. Happily, I have not identified any leaks.

10.jpeg

When I checked on my system the morning after installing the UV sterilizer, the only signs of dinoflagellates were on my Flipper algae scraper. So, this UV sterilizer will be moving over to the frag system as soon as I transfer the corals to it.

12.jpeg

11.jpeg

I picked up some John Guest fittings to install on my DŌS' heads to help prevent air bubbles in the tubes because the tubing that came with my DŌS units seems to allow air in at the connections and at the connections of my dosing containers. I'm hoping that this solution will prevent that. In the process, I learned that you do not have to cut the cone off of the connection at the DŌS if you install the tube in the fitting before connecting the fitting to the DŌS.

13.jpeg

14.jpeg

15.jpeg

I plan to paint the back of the aquarium this weekend, but it depends on what the weather in Columbus, OH does.

Also, I will be deciding what fish to order from Mike at Quarantined Fish. He has a Six-Line for me, which is currently going through his quarantine process; I need to make a decision soon so that he can obtain the fish that I decide on. I'm thinking of a damsel, or two, since they will likely be able to hold their own against the Six-Line and vice versa. If you have any suggestions for fish, then I'd love for you to present them.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after adding a 57-watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV sterilizer to my system, I have eliminated all signs, without aid of a microscope, of dinoflagellates. I'm certain that I will still see them if I view scrapings from surfaces within my system, but I couldn't be happier with the performance of the UV sterilizer.

In fact, I have algae and cyanobacteria appearing, which I welcome. This is the first time in nearly two months that I have seen algae on my glass. After watching the dinoflagellates get beaten back by the UV sterilizer, I began feeding amino acids and Reef-Roids, which I understand is advised against, but I wanted to get some extra nutrition into the system to promote algae growth.

IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG

I ordered sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate from Loudwolf, which I used to make stock solutions for dosing. I am in the process of completing plumbing on my new system before moving everything (corals and bio-media) over. Once completed, I will hook up a doser to administer both solutions in the hopes of maintaining detectable levels of nitrate and phosphate.

In the meantime, I am going to continue observing everything. It seems that I can relax a bit and not feel disgusted when looking at my corals.

Regarding the new system, I have almost completed dry-fitting the plumbing. On a related note, my wife isn't happy with me right now because the room that the aquarium is in has been a disaster for weeks.

IMG_1165.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

As you can see, I have a handful of 45º and 90º fittings, but I am not worried because I don't plan on running more than 500 GPH through the system since I have two MP40s to put into the display, which will provide more than enough flow. All that's left plumbing-wise is to attach the pipe clamps to the stand, glue everything, and then leak-test it. As soon as that is completed, I will begin transferring livestock and equipment from the existing system.

I tried to leave most of the space above the sump unobstructed by plumbing, which I think I achieved. I have plenty of room for maintenance, and I have a nice space along the back of the stand to mount my UV sterilizer above the sump. When I tear down the Waterbox, I will have a space 1" flow sensor to use, which I may attach to the UV sterilizer and feed it with a second COR-15 since it will be easily controlled via my Apex, negating the need for a valve to control the flow through it. I like to keep spares of almost everything, so I have a couple of COR-15s sitting around to use as backups and swaps during maintenance events.

I'm so happy with how the stand and equipment cabinet turned out. If you are close to Columbus, OH, and want some woodwork done, I highly recommend @Billdogg. I can't wait to get everything set up and running so that I can post better photos. :cool:

aap15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet and everything looks very nice and coming along well! I have been in your position they last couple weeks as well getting things setup with a new tank, stand, etc. Also dealing with the displeased other half in regards to the mess on top but fortunately she is supportive...just wishes the process would move along faster haha

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet and everything looks very nice and coming along well! I have been in your position they last couple weeks as well getting things setup with a new tank, stand, etc. Also dealing with the displeased other half in regards to the mess on top but fortunately she is supportive...just wishes the process would move along faster haha
My wife has been a trooper through all of this—multiple tank upgrades and indecisiveness. She just wants me to be finished so that I can enjoy my system and not constantly battle pests and changes. Also, I'm sure the decrease in spending will make her happiest. :)

It makes a difference to have a supportive partner through the journey of having an aquarium because that can be a challenge on its own; adding the stress of an upset partner makes is far less enjoyable. I am definitely ready to have my system in a position to where I can come home from work, grab a glass of Scotch, and get lost in the beauty of the colors and movements of my livestock.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back