The Next Fish...Seeking Suggestions

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking for "the next fish" to add to my tank. I currently have a 60 gallon cube (24") with:
Fish:
  • Pair of Oscellaris Clowns
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Tomini Tang
  • Banggai Cardinalfish
Inverts:
  • Peppermint Shrimp
  • Urchins (pincushion, long-spine, tuxedo)
  • Trochus Snails, Nassarius Snails
  • Emerald Crabs
  • Hermit Crabs (Halloween, Electric Blue Leg)
  • Cowries

I've been looking at some of the wrasses, but would consider any suggestions. I think a wrasse would be a nice addition for a future potential pests, but I also really like some of the colors of them.

I should state that my tank has about 1-1.5 cm layer of Reborn calcium reactor media as substrate, so I don't believe any of the diving/sand-sleeping wrasses would be a good idea.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought on mystery wrasse, orange-back fairy wrasse?

I’d like to get something blue, purple, green color range since I already have orange, red, yellow fish.

Im just beginning to read about these fish because I never found them super attractive, but after seeing some videos the photographs don’t always do them justice and they’ve peaked my interest now.

I really like the looks and coloring of the Melanurus wrasse, but I understand they need sand.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only wrasse I've had is a sixline. I like him :)
I’ve heard they can be jerks not infrequently.

I’m trying to keep a peaceful tank (although my Tomini and flame Hawkfish are not agreeing on that plan at present). Have you had an issues?

I do like the colors of them, but I also kind of like the idea of a less common fish as well. I don’t plan on adding too many more fish, so I am being careful with my selections. Appreciate the suggestion!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just look into all flasher and fairy wrasse. They’re mostly peaceful and most don’t need a sandbed. Flashers are more peaceful generally but also more shy. See what’s available or catches your eye and ask some of the wrasse experts.

Other suggestions are a basslet like a royal gramma or a blenny. A Midas blenny is a great character for example.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for "the next fish" to add to my tank. I currently have a 60 gallon cube (24") with:
Fish:
  • Pair of Oscellaris Clowns
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Tomini Tang
  • Banggai Cardinalfish
Inverts:
  • Peppermint Shrimp
  • Urchins (pincushion, long-spine, tuxedo)
  • Trochus Snails, Nassarius Snails
  • Emerald Crabs
  • Hermit Crabs (Halloween, Electric Blue Leg)
  • Cowries

I've been looking at some of the wrasses, but would consider any suggestions. I think a wrasse would be a nice addition for a future potential pests, but I also really like some of the colors of them.

I should state that my tank has about 1-1.5 cm layer of Reborn calcium reactor media as substrate, so I don't believe any of the diving/sand-sleeping wrasses would be a good idea.
In a 2’ cube, you’re maxed out already IMHO. You have rather active fish that also can get rather large and potentially aggressive. I definitely don’t recommend a six line or any Pseudocheilinus species, these guys are the devils in disguise in the Wrasse side of this hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back