The NEXT Generation From Neptune?

ReefLabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shameless bait title, I know... but it's a salient discussion I think. I'm considering investing heavily in Neptune for my systems and was wondering if there has been any rumble about a hardware refresh?

The hype of Mindstream is gone, which was one of my waiting games. GHL is making great stuff of course, but would rather go US and Neptune is doing a STELLAR job. No complaints.

1) How long do you think until we get an update that isn't free firmware?
2) What would be on your wish-list of features for the next gen?

Thanks in advance! for any feedback!

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shameless bait title, I know... but it's a salient discussion I think. I'm considering investing heavily in

<SNIP><SNIP><SNIP><SNIP>

I don't expect a hardware update for the Apex "Wi-Fi" controller for some time. It came out because older models no longer had enough memory to handle what the controller was capable of handling.
(Remember Bill Gates once saying that '640K software is all the memory anybody would ever need on a computer.' ) I'm sure the Neptune folks put enough memory in the newest Apex controller for years to come.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say almost zero chance that you will see one unless Ecotech makes a controller or Aquatronica gets back into the US market. GHL is priced so high that it does not worry Neptune. As it stands Neptune has no real competition, so I would imagine they see no need to spend a ton of money on R&D for a new controller.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the came out with the Apex NG (literally Next Generation) in 2016 and then released the Apex EL (Entry Level) in 2019, I do not see a hardware update in the near future. The Apex "Classic" came out in what, 2003? With the Aquacontroller coming out in the late 90s? I don't see them rushing to refresh their hardware...

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fanboy nonsense aside, there is an almost zero chance "2016" Apex will see a hardware replacement this quickly. There's some brewing announcement between them and BRS about to take place, who knows what that will entail, but I doubt a new generational replacement controller is even on the product line horizon at this point.

They have other things to worry about, like increased NA competition by already large market players, due this quarter (Mobius / Hydros), in addition to what's already going on with ProfiLux.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more and more manufactures are building their own little eco system.
Red Sea has pumps/lights/tanks/sump
They can sell you a completed system with just their products down to salt and elements.
eco tech is also making it easier for their lights/pumps/doser to all work together.

kesill lights at the moment are not even compatible with Neptune.

maxspect is also making there own little eco system with lights/pump/skimmers

I could see Hanna making a product that can run auto test on your tank. I trust Hanna a lot more than Neptune.

Last edited:

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are, the apex will stay as is for another 3-4 years being that the trident came out less than a year ago. They would probably just come out with new modules etc that are backwards compatible. I don’t see why they would throw a project that took almost 3 years to complete out the window 8 months after its release.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
where is the info on this brewing announcement? I’ve not heard anything around this and I spend a ton of time looking for Neptune product announcement leaks.

Fanboy nonsense aside, there is an almost zero chance "2016" Apex will see a hardware replacement this quickly. There's some brewing announcement between them and BRS about to take place, who knows what that will entail, but I doubt a new generational replacement controller is even on the product line horizon at this point.

They have other things to worry about, like increased NA competition by already large market players, due this quarter (Mobius / Hydros), in addition to what's already going on with ProfiLux.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And either way, a “brewing announcement” could be for something stupid like a black trident. Oooooo color choices. I’m mesmerized ;Hilarious

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 no need to make nonsense up to seem more informed than others ;Hilarious

In all fairness he did say:

So he never said it was a controller and he did prove there was an announcement coming.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all fairness he did say:

So he never said it was a controller and he did prove there was an announcement coming.
Yes but I’m pretty sure you should cite the persons words from the source instead of Saying it’s a rumor. Really? If it was a rumor, why was it Neptune’s words of Facebook.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you're on about, or why you are inferring that I am starting rumours and not quoting sources properly. Someone posted this thread, I gave my two cents and inferred that even with some announcement coming up from Neptune, it is almost certainly not regarding a new controller announcement.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mmEYcCp.png

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insanely smart and savvy move by BRS to feature that retailer lock-in. I'm not so sure those formerly "valuable" brick and mortar partners that have put out endless in-person marketing are going to be very happy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back