The NEXT Generation From Neptune?

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll see a Neptune skimmer or LED light before you see a new controller.

I do agree that every manufacturer is going the way of making complete reef systems under their brand and we're going to see a lot more of it.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's this.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insanely smart and savvy move by BRS to feature that retailer lock-in. I'm not so sure those formerly "valuable" brick and mortar partners that have put out endless in-person marketing are going to be very happy.

Nothing new, the two companies have been pretty much in lock step for years.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 is a good deal just the ato can run you 150-200. Only catch is that you probably need an eb 8 of similar yo actually top off

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's this.

So basically your getting two level sensors for free?? I guess that's not bad but doesn't it put every other distributor at a disadvantage?

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically your getting two level sensors for free?? I guess that's not bad but doesn't it put every other distributor at a disadvantage?
i don't have any Neptune stuff, too costly right now but I received an email about it at 8:17 & then noticed this thread when someone mentioned a BRS special statement I thought this might be it.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's this.
Ahh, the poor newbie who buys that will be buying an Apex twice once he realizes he can't do much with that.

Former Apex Jr. Owner. :rolleyes:

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is very good for Neptune. You have a lot of people that can’t afford the $800 for the full system. What I don’t understand is why didn’t they add a 4 port power strip like the apex JR.

This is a big f-u to all the other distributors of Neptune products. They already have very small margins and I am also sure everyone is tired with not having inventory of trident or reagents.
If I was a LFS I would be clearing out the Neptune product wall. Let BRS sell it.

I sure Neptune is also not happy that saltwater.com is selling other controllers.
BRS only sells Neptune.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juvenile squabbling aside, and back to the original question ..... I agree that a major revision of the 2016 apex is unlikely anytime soon. At some point Neptune will want to offer something that exceeds the capability of the brain, but that seems a ways off. There was some incorrect speculation that this weeks ‘big’ announcement was going to be a new light; but that seems at least conceivable in the future as it’s a major hole in their offerings. I’d be shocked, given the success of the trident, that there haven’t at least been some early conversations about further automated testing capabilities.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juvenile squabbling aside, and back to the original question ..... I agree that a major revision of the 2016 apex is unlikely anytime soon. At some point Neptune will want to offer something that exceeds the capability of the brain, but that seems a ways off. There was some incorrect speculation that this weeks ‘big’ announcement was going to be a new light; but that seems at least conceivable in the future as it’s a major hole in their offerings. I’d be shocked, given the success of the trident, that there haven’t at least been some early conversations about further automated testing capabilities.

It would be shocking to me if they did come out with a new testing system. Right now they are in the money making phase, so I am sure they don't want to dump a whole lot of money into R&D on another testing unit when they really have no competition!
If the Mindstream had been a success then all bets would be off as they would quickly be looking to get something that could test at least 7 or 8 parameters. The closest thing they have to a rival right now is GHLs two stand alone testers which will cost you almost twice the price of a Trident.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be shocking to me if they did come out with a new testing system. Right now they are in the money making phase, so I am sure they don't want to dump a whole lot of money into R&D on another testing unit when they really have no competition!
If the Mindstream had been a success then all bets would be off as they would quickly be looking to get something that could test at least 7 or 8 parameters. The closest thing they have to a rival right now is GHLs two stand alone testers which will cost you almost twice the price of a Trident.
Reefbot.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didn't say now, nor even imply it. Clearly they have to get past their supply issues on the current trident. But, the revenue generating phase of any existing products lifecycle is EXACTLY when you should be doing R&D on new stuff. That’s how you maintain revenue growth. I’d say the success of trident just about guarantees trident 2 within two years. I guess we shall see.

I agree that reefbot is not really serious competition for Neptune, at least not yet. Contender maybe, pretender perhaps. There was early chatter, not much since.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get your money back from MINDSTREAM?? That was a pretty painful ordeal...
Yes they refunded me. The only painful part was not getting a unit and the company being in limbo.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, the poor newbie who buys that will be buying an Apex twice once he realizes he can't do much with that.

Former Apex Jr. Owner. :rolleyes:

This isn't much of a disadvantage as you can buy an EB832 and have a regular Apex EL. Much for the same price, except you get two free float switches here.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is very good for Neptune. You have a lot of people that can’t afford the $800 for the full system. What I don’t understand is why didn’t they add a 4 port power strip like the apex JR.

This is a big f-u to all the other distributors of Neptune products. They already have very small margins and I am also sure everyone is tired with not having inventory of trident or reagents.
If I was a LFS I would be clearing out the Neptune product wall. Let BRS sell it.

I sure Neptune is also not happy that saltwater.com is selling other controllers.
BRS only sells Neptune.
It is a limited test run. They sold around 150 total units. The people who purchased them are basically part of a test to see how much of a demand there is for a monitoring system at a lower price point than for a full blown controller. It would actually help out the LFS by allowing them to be able to carry a lower priced monitoring system. If it is successful and the buyers respond positively, it could become available everywhere next summer.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back