The "OK, Let's Try This Again" Waterbox Marine X 110.4 Build Thread

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done this a bunch of times over the last 30 years. My last one was supposed to be a Reefer 250 back in 2016, and even after getting the all-critical WAF approval, things went south before I even finished pricing that build out. As it turns out, tank approval didn't mean husband approval, and well, one divorce, a bunch of money and almost 8 long years later, I'm circling back to this project!

With the starter wife out of the way, and the new & improved wife 2.0 on board, we decided on a Waterbox Marine X 110.4. It was a tough decision against IM INT 100. I've had IM tanks before and we liked the appearance of the stand better, but sale prices speak to me.

When the freight driver arrived it was like Christmas and I was so excited that I forgot to take pics lol. Everything was stacked on 1 pallet and delivered in the garage. Of course I opened it up (duh!) and things looked intact. We started assembling the stand later that night. I'll be honest here, the stand does not seem capable of the strength needed to support ~700 pounds of water, sand and rocks. It slightly wiggles left to right too much for my liking. Others have posted on similar wiggles. We'll see what happens...

With the stand built I turned to electrical and the controller setup. On my last tank I used a ReefKeeper controller and I almost went with an Apex this time but opted for Hydros (because, why not?). I ended up shifting the sump to the right side. Left would have been a little better for other routing reasons but the drain tubes just wouldn't play well, and I wasn't willing to fight it. This left ~12 inches to put a controller board. I ended up buying some 400mm and 500mm 2020 T-slot track to add some mounting points. The first went laterally across the left opening to hold the controller board.

IMG_3965a.jpg

Next up was designing the board. I decided to use a 12" wide sheet of black HDPE. It looks sharp AF but drilling it and any kind of cutting is a very messy ordeal.
I landed on a layout that I hope works well into the future. The board is hinged at the top so I can swing it out to work behind it (allegedly, it's gonna be tough).

Setting the layout spacingCut and ready to mountInstalled
IMG_3956a.jpg
IMG_3959a.jpg
IMG_3967a.jpg

So here we are at this point

IMG_3968a.jpg

Probably a good spot to mention some other choices I made... The roller mat, skimmer and pumps... I wasn't willing to start modding the sump to accommodate any roller mat so I went with the Klir-4 since it's nearly a drop and insert. Nearly because blocking the second sock hole should have been easy by using the Klir block-off part, but of course, it didn't fit right, so I had to mod that with some white PVC board to make that work. I blame the metric system.

I've never had a recirculating skimmer so when BRS had a Classic 110 EXT open box for sale I snagged it. Hopefully no more dealing with sump water height. Also, because I'm going to try an algae scrubber, some threads note a skimmer may not be needed. If so, then great because it was a steal, but it's there just in case. The scrubber is a Santa Monica RAIN2 with a DIY pole mount with (you guessed it) more PVC board and some fittings. Way cheaper than the ready-made mount but if you want it turn-key, spend the money and just buy it.

For pumps I'm running two Varios units. A VarioS-4 for the return and a VarioS-2 for the sump loop. I may regret the latter. The sump loop is to a 3 valve manifold, with one extra spared-out. Hopefully this will flow enough to feed the skimmer and scrubber. I cannot stand screwing around with siphon flow when tee-ing off the return, but nice of Waterbox to include a threaded port to work with if you want that misery.

Some more 2020 T-slotManifold Roughed in
IMG_4016a.jpg
IMG_4019a.jpg
These 20mm (3/4") and 32mm (1") clips worked perfectlyGlued and ready for leak testing
IMG_4030a.jpg
IMG_4032a.jpg

RODI is a BRS 5 stage unit. I got lucky and the wall the tank is on backs up to the laundry room. There's also a beer fridge in there that doesn't have a water line today. I'm adding a RO tank and tying in the RO permeate line through a check valve to feed the ice maker/door water. This should work well because we go through ice like crazy in this house. Since I have soft water in the laundry room I just tapped into the cold water line with this nifty adapter and a 1/4" push connect elbow to act as the supply line for the RODI. The waste just runs down the laundry drain pipe. The RODI output setup is a little unique. I have a 3-solenoid control setup. One acts as a master gate feeding two lower solenoids. Then, when I need RODI, to dump the TDS creep laden water, the waste solenoid opens. After some period (TBD) the waste solenoid closes and the permeate solenoid opens, filling the ATO reservoir. When it's filled, both the permeate and control solenoid close. The bonus is I get two solenoids to pass through so if (when?) one fails I still have the other to break flow. (No, the braided solenoid wires do not stay braided through the wall, that'd just be silly.) Red is supply, black is waste, blue is RO and yellow is RODI. Here's a link to the diagram

IMG_3972a.jpg

And here we are. Tank is still dry, probably wont get to leak test all of it for another week or two.

fts3a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a way to get the leak testing done anyway. Only one leak, the plug on the return bulkhead fitting seals with an o-ring. Had to tighten it down pretty tight to stop the drips.

Way back in ~2007 I bought a JBJ AIO and had a rock tumble, cracking the bare bottom glass. Since then I've always put something on the bottom to protect the glass. I know it's a debatable practice, and the consensus seems to be "not necessary", but I had to deal with that mess, and I assure you it sucked, so I swore never again. For this tank I put a sheet of 1/8" black HDPE down and siliconed it in (underneath and the edge).

IMG_4049a.jpg

Yeah, my siliconing skills suck, but this build will have sand to hide it.

Last edited:

RWReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a way to get the leak testing done anyway. Only one leak, the plug on the return bulkhead fitting seals with an o-ring. Had to tighten it down pretty tight to stop the drips.

Way back in ~2007 I bought a JBJ AIO and had a rock tumble, cracking the bare bottom glass. Since then I've always put something on the bottom to protect the glass. I know it's a debatable practice, and the consensus seems to be "not necessary", but I had to deal with that mess, and I assure you it sucked, so I swore never again. For this tank I put a sheet of 1/8" black HDPE down and siliconed it in (underneath and the edge).

IMG_4049a.jpg

Yeah, my siliconing skills suck, but this build will have sand to hide it.
I’m going with egg crate under the touch points of the Marco rock to bottom glass. Seems like cheap insurance.

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m giving up on Sicce Scuba contactless heaters. They’re just weird. Originally bought one 200w and left it at default 77*. It took 4 days to raise 68* RODI to 75* in a house at 70* (I’m in AZ - this is my winter normal). So I opened a ticket with Sicce, who simply opted to ship me a replacement with no questions asked. Cool. It showed up and again left it at default. It raised to 79* in 18 hours. So I recalibrated it it in the app with -2* and then got 78*. I could keep working it out but then noticed moisture in the glass tube. Back to my (still open) ticket with a pic of the moisture and again, replacement on the way with no questions asked.

These things heat for about 60s and then off 60s or something like that. It has an eco mode that’s disabled but it feels like the logic is reversed or these are pieces of crap.

So I’m kinda happy on the one hand with the support process being so easy, but they’re throwing parts at the issue which is a terrible troubleshooting style, and it’s left me thinking they either know these things are whack OR they are making them for $4 and the margins are so good it’s just cheaper to roll the dice and the next one will “fix it” - whatever “it” may be.

Either way, I now have three and I’ve given up. I’ve got some BRS specials and a Helio controller on the way. Maybe they’ll heat more effectively in smaller water change containers.

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done this a bunch of times over the last 30 years. My last one was supposed to be a Reefer 250 back in 2016, and even after getting the all-critical WAF approval, things went south before I even finished pricing that build out. As it turns out, tank approval didn't mean husband approval, and well, one divorce, a bunch of money and almost 8 long years later, I'm circling back to this project!

With the starter wife out of the way, and the new & improved wife 2.0 on board, we decided on a Waterbox Marine X 110.4. It was a tough decision against IM INT 100. I've had IM tanks before and we liked the appearance of the stand better, but sale prices speak to me.

When the freight driver arrived it was like Christmas and I was so excited that I forgot to take pics lol. Everything was stacked on 1 pallet and delivered in the garage. Of course I opened it up (duh!) and things looked intact. We started assembling the stand later that night. I'll be honest here, the stand does not seem capable of the strength needed to support ~700 pounds of water, sand and rocks. It slightly wiggles left to right too much for my liking. Others have posted on similar wiggles. We'll see what happens...

With the stand built I turned to electrical and the controller setup. On my last tank I used a ReefKeeper controller and I almost went with an Apex this time but opted for Hydros (because, why not?). I ended up shifting the sump to the right side. Left would have been a little better for other routing reasons but the drain tubes just wouldn't play well, and I wasn't willing to fight it. This left ~12 inches to put a controller board. I ended up buying some 400mm and 500mm 2020 T-slot track to add some mounting points. The first went laterally across the left opening to hold the controller board.

IMG_3965a.jpg

Next up was designing the board. I decided to use a 12" wide sheet of black HDPE. It looks sharp AF but drilling it and any kind of cutting is a very messy ordeal.
I landed on a layout that I hope works well into the future. The board is hinged at the top so I can swing it out to work behind it (allegedly, it's gonna be tough).

Setting the layout spacingCut and ready to mountInstalled
IMG_3956a.jpg
IMG_3959a.jpg
IMG_3967a.jpg

So here we are at this point

IMG_3968a.jpg

Probably a good spot to mention some other choices I made... The roller mat, skimmer and pumps... I wasn't willing to start modding the sump to accommodate any roller mat so I went with the Klir-4 since it's nearly a drop and insert. Nearly because blocking the second sock hole should have been easy by using the Klir block-off part, but of course, it didn't fit right, so I had to mod that with some white PVC board to make that work. I blame the metric system.

I've never had a recirculating skimmer so when BRS had a Classic 110 EXT open box for sale I snagged it. Hopefully no more dealing with sump water height. Also, because I'm going to try an algae scrubber, some threads note a skimmer may not be needed. If so, then great because it was a steal, but it's there just in case. The scrubber is a Santa Monica RAIN2 with a DIY pole mount with (you guessed it) more PVC board and some fittings. Way cheaper than the ready-made mount but if you want it turn-key, spend the money and just buy it.

For pumps I'm running two Varios units. A VarioS-4 for the return and a VarioS-2 for the sump loop. I may regret the latter. The sump loop is to a 3 valve manifold, with one extra spared-out. Hopefully this will flow enough to feed the skimmer and scrubber. I cannot stand screwing around with siphon flow when tee-ing off the return, but nice of Waterbox to include a threaded port to work with if you want that misery.

Some more 2020 T-slotManifold Roughed in
IMG_4016a.jpg
IMG_4019a.jpg
These 20mm (3/4") and 32mm (1") clips worked perfectlyGlued and ready for leak testing
IMG_4030a.jpg
IMG_4032a.jpg

RODI is a BRS 5 stage unit. I got lucky and the wall the tank is on backs up to the laundry room. There's also a beer fridge in there that doesn't have a water line today. I'm adding a RO tank and tying in the RO permeate line through a check valve to feed the ice maker/door water. This should work well because we go through ice like crazy in this house. Since I have soft water in the laundry room I just tapped into the cold water line with this nifty adapter and a 1/4" push connect elbow to act as the supply line for the RODI. The waste just runs down the laundry drain pipe. The RODI output setup is a little unique. I have a 3-solenoid control setup. One acts as a master gate feeding two lower solenoids. Then, when I need RODI, to dump the TDS creep laden water, the waste solenoid opens. After some period (TBD) the waste solenoid closes and the permeate solenoid opens, filling the ATO reservoir. When it's filled, both the permeate and control solenoid close. The bonus is I get two solenoids to pass through so if (when?) one fails I still have the other to break flow. (No, the braided solenoid wires do not stay braided through the wall, that'd just be silly.) Red is supply, black is waste, blue is RO and yellow is RODI. Here's a link to the diagram

IMG_3972a.jpg

And here we are. Tank is still dry, probably wont get to leak test all of it for another week or two.

fts3a.jpg

Dang.. I should have looked at your setup first! This is awesome. Love that control board!

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I might have to copy you lol

Do you have a link to where are you getting the 2020T slot elbows? And what did you used to hold the doser to the bar?

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! I might have to copy you lol

Do you have a link to where are you getting the 2020T slot elbows? And what did you used to hold the doser to the bar?
lol do it!! This thing is wiggly and a bit sketchy but being modular makes modding easy. Post #1 has link to the extrusion I ordered. 400mm works everywhere except front to back - that needs 500mm. I used a variety of screws and fasteners. I’ll post up links to everything I used in a bit. The doser had keyhole slots on the back so some M4 button head screws fit perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corner Brackets https://a.co/d/idzTrlg

Cap head screws (M4 and M5) https://a.co/d/4QpMx8m

Button head screws (M5) https://a.co/d/1Qfdkcs

Rollin nuts (M4 and M5) https://a.co/d/01xStz1

The rollin nuts are life savers because you can add them after the frame is built and they don’t slide around the track and don’t rely on twisting to have them work (like the crappy Waterbox hardware). The 2020 extrusion comes with some other brackets that were less useful but I still used them. Pretty much all the fasteners came as M5 but I couldn’t fit them in the doser keyholes so if you have smaller stuff to mount the M4 stuff might help.

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the dosing tubes in for 2 heads. These will be for ESV B-Ionic which I've used on tanks in the past and had good success. I wanted to try Kalk, and still plan to, but not in phase 1 lol. For now, it's gonna be two-part dosing. The other two heads *may* be for trace elements. I don't expect the draw to be so high that I can't manually handle that dosing, far from it, but I travel, and automation is high on my list to keep the WAF high. I mean, she let me put this thing in the front room so the least I can do is not ask her to do anything.
dosingpump.jpg

I have them filled with RODI while I test the pump out. The app is pretty slick, shows me how much remains in the reservoirs (simple math as it doses) and estimates days to empty. Curious how well it works.
chihiros.jpg

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Kraken Reef for delivering an amazing lid! This thing is nice. Fit perfectly, cuts exactly where they were planned and I couldn’t be happier with the tolerances. And just in time because my cycle is almost done. Too bad I’m traveling for the next few weeks. Wife will be ghost feeding until I get back.

IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Kraken Reef for delivering an amazing lid! This thing is nice. Fit perfectly, cuts exactly where they were planned and I couldn’t be happier with the tolerances. And just in time because my cycle is almost done. Too bad I’m traveling for the next few weeks. Wife will be ghost feeding until I get back.

IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG
Lid looks great!

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have already answered but what did you use to cut that 12” hdpe board. A CNC machine? Lol

Looking to copy

OP
OP
Panda Jerk

Panda Jerk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have already answered but what did you use to cut that 12” hdpe board. A CNC machine? Lol

Looking to copy
No, the sheet was 12”x48” and I only cut the length down using a handheld Sabre/jigsaw with a metal blade. A wood blade “ate” too much material too fast. The holes were 1” spade/butterfly bits and I rounded all edges over with a router. The power slots were holes at each end to make the ends round and then connected with the saw, then rounded. To do it over again I’d probably have slotted the round holes to make it easier to pass wires through. Be warned - it’s messy!!

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the sheet was 12”x48” and I only cut the length down using a handheld Sabre/jigsaw with a metal blade. A wood blade “ate” too much material too fast. The holes were 1” spade/butterfly bits and I rounded them over with a router. Be warned - it’s messy!!

Thank ya!! My attempt will certainly be more messy. Yours is surgeon level.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back