The one GREATEST money-saving decision you made concerning your reef aquarium was...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the latest and greatest reefing gadgets and equipment to the colorful corals and rare livestock, maintaining a reef tank can strain the limits of our wallets!

I know it's almost comical to put the terms, reefing and money-saving together! :p

But between buying everything you want and being a budget conscience hobbyists there has to be ways that you were able to save some money! Perhaps there was ONE GREAT money saving decision that you made and that's what we want you to share today!

What was the ONE GREATEST money-saving decision you ever made concerning your reef aquarium?

SAVING MONEY.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buy my dream tank from the get go so I don’t keep buying stuff along the lines to hopefully upgrade one day.. :rolleyes:

I don't think that counts.. :p

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest thing for me was to learn to go slow and be patient. Also I've earned not to chase fads and don't get what others think is cool. Buy what I like and don't worry about what others think.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait for deals and know that you don't have to have everything all at once. Like sure, I want full automation, but is that a need I have to have right now? No, not at all, but it would be nice haha.

Enrique7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a controller with leak sensors and regular testing. I no longer get home to surprise disasters, only “notified” disasters.
Aside from flood aversion, I am truly saving money because of my frag survival rate. I rarely loose one now. Redundancy and fail-safe methods

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting my tank by a window that gets morning sun. It's let me resist the never-ending light upgrade urge :)

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll go against the flow and say no RODI. Tank is 100% naturally sourced rainwater and seawater. I also don’t think I’ve ever added any commercially made additive or supplement from a bottle, bucket or packet to my last three systems. Don’t take this as blanket advice though, it’s more a circumstance of my location. It definitely minimises ongoing costs though.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the answer. Lots of ways to find deals and stuff but this simple purchase pays for itself over and over again.
And shockingly quickly for anything other than very small tanks.

Got a 5 stage from BRS on sale for about $220.

75 gallon tank + sump - total about 80 gallons water.

LFS charges $1.25 for water. Just to fill the thing up would be $100. Then I’d need about six water containers (to make three trips to/from the store). This would put me at around $160+ just to fill up. Break even within the first/second month after a water change and topping up evaporation.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back