To Buy New or Refurb.. Advice and opinion wanted

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning from the UK

I have had a 180cm Evolution Aqua aquarium for about 7 years now. I have been recently looking at the 180cm Red Sea aquarium but can’t decide whether to refurb what I have or bite the bullet and make the investment on a new tank. The present tank has some light scratching on the inside and the cabinet is beginning to look shabby and the aquascape definitely needs re doing. I know there is no right answer but I was just wondering what other people have done in a similar situation. I could use some of the money I have saved up to refurb the one I have but I am concerned that at some point it will need replacing so would be better off putting that cash into a new tank. All opinions welcome….

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re able to upgrade. Do it. Otherwise make the best of what you have.

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but do your research on red sea.
How do you mean? I guess my concern is that I spend a load refurbing this one and then I end up needing to replace it at some point soon anyway. The Red Sea seem to be the logical choice opposed to the D-D aquarium

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: The information below is strictly to share my experience with the OP and not intended to turn this into a redsea bashing thread. There are plenty of those already.

While there have been reports of seams leaking on redsea tanks the reports appear be fewer than they were a year or so ago. I have two redsea tanks, a gen 1 reefer 170 and a gen 2 reefer 300 and am happy with both.
That said I recently purchased a new waterbox system. It is complete with all plumbing etc just like the redsea systems. Quality appears to be very good but I have not filled the tank yet. I decided waterbox over redsea because waterbox offered the exact size I wanted and redsea did not.

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Thanks for information. Helpful. I’m interested in the thought process of upgrading or refurbing. Certainly didn’t start the thread to ‘Red Sea bash’ :). I just can’t decide if the upgrade is worth it but then nervous the tank I have will reach end of life at some point.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Thanks for information. Helpful. I’m interested in the thought process of upgrading or refurbing. Certainly didn’t start the thread to ‘Red Sea bash’ :). I just can’t decide if the upgrade is worth it but then nervous the tank I have will reach end of life at some point.
is there a reason your upgrade option is a red sea tank only? are there other tank options available? Marineland or something similar to a red sea maybe? might be cheaper than a red sea tank.

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: The information below is strictly to share my experience with the OP and not intended to turn this into a redsea bashing thread. There are plenty of those already.

While there have been reports of seams leaking on redsea tanks the reports appear be fewer than they were a year or so ago. I have two redsea tanks, a gen 1 reefer 170 and a gen 2 reefer 300 and am happy with both.
That said I recently purchased a new waterbox system. It is complete with all plumbing etc just like the redsea systems. Quality appears to be very good but I have not filled the tank yet. I decided waterbox over redsea because waterbox offered the exact size I wanted and redsea did not.
I’ve never heard of Waterbox. Will be interested to hear your opinion on it. I just had a google of them and I like they have an aluminium frame.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar situation. I'm upgrading from an aging 180 gallon tank on a diy stand with basement sump. I'm just feeling like it's time.
I'm not sure what refurbing you are thinking? Glass is difficult to buff scratches out of. Aging stand, repair or replace? If you want to upgrade and can afford it I say go for it but at the end of the day you are the only one who can make that decision ;)

I’ve never heard of Waterbox. Will be interested to hear your opinion on it. I just had a google of them and I like they have an aluminium frame.

The frame is 30 series t slot which is awesome. I was going to mount my light to the wall but a member here suggested building a t slot light support system and attach it to the stand frame. They are designing the light support system for me as I don't have any experience working with t slot. I think it is going to be sweet when I get things all done.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the Red Sea seem burst is only specific models of those tanks. I know the Gen2 ones have a reinforced brace to prevent the seem from bursting

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the Red Sea seem burst is only specific models of those tanks. I know the Gen2 ones have a reinforced brace to prevent the seem from bursting
Thanks. I have just emailed Waterbox to ask them some questions about the 275 Infinia. They only sell directly in the UK, so it is hard to get too much information. They do look like a decent alternative to the Red Sea. I haven't ruled out Red Sea as yet, they are just by far the most expensive. Good to have some people to ask some opinion of on here, my wife isn't much help :)

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the hobby is not cheap as you know. to me this comes down to your cash flow/financial situation. just like a car. I refuse to have a car payment unless the cost to repair my car equates to a new one (it never does) so I always have new to me cars. The cost of a new red sea tank, or any other similar for that matter is a lot of money compared to a used system. Which one is best for you, is up to you.
full disclosure I bought my tank new (not red sea) this time as I reentered the hobby after 10+ years away. Would I do it again? Possibly but I would need more patience, I was looking for something specific and only found that in a new tank.

OP
OP
C

CanayYella

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for above. I’ve just been introduced to Cade aquariums so going to have a look at one of those tomorrow. Who knows. I might come home with a new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back