The one thing holding me back from a calcium reactor

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about setting up a calcium reactor. I’ve used one in the past, but the only thing holding me back now is, I need a better way of monitoring how much CO2 is left in the tank. Ideally with automated notifications when the tank is getting low (1-2 weeks from empty). If I remember correctly the gauges on the regulator don’t really give you a good idea of how much time you have left on the tank… and then one day, your getting alarms because pH is high in the reactor or alk is low in the tank and you’ve got to panic rush to swap the tank and by that point you’ve already stressed the corals. And if it happens while you’re out of town you’re screwed. How do you overcome this in a way to be preventative instead of reactive? I don’t wait until pH and alk drop out of range to refill my 2-part so why would I do it for the calcium reactor.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pick up the tank. When it gets light, you know that it is getting empty. I have spares on hand and just swap them out - there is always a failed home brewer or grower that has tanks for sale for cheap in my area.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back