The pH of of my Kalkwasswer is 12.5. Is it fully saturated?

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the pH of a Kalkwasswer solution tell you it's degree of saturation?

(I know, a dumb question. And I'll probably feel embarassed when I read the answer and realize how dumb a question it was.)

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, yes. In practice, no. That's because the pH scale is logarithmic, and very small changes in pH mean a rather large change in the hydronium ion concentration in the solution. The hydronium ion is H3O+, and is what actually exists in an aqueous solution rather than the H+ ion more commonly described in posts about pH.

However, you can accurately assess the saturation of a kalkwasser solution by conductivity. Here's a 2003 article by Randy that describes his measurements of the degradation of kalkwasser by conductivity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pH (crude for the reasons mentioned above, a 0.3 pH unit difference is 50% drop in saturation), I would measure truly saturated limewater (say, 2 teaspoons solids in a cup of RO/DI) and compare that to the fluid you are measuring.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much gentlemen. I'm ok with a "rough estimate." I just plopped my nicely calibrated probe into the Kalk and it read 12.5. So, I guess that's somewhat useful information. It's better than a taste test and at least I'm not dosing RODI.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back