The Pondman's 560 Gallon Adventure

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brief bio:

I build residential & commercial custom water features, koi ponds, waterfalls, small ponds to multi acre ponds, theme park water features, etc. for almost 20 years now with projects as far as Slovakia. The front of my house has 27 waterfalls and the backyard is about to get a koi pond with a viewing window. In other words, I like water and everywhere I look I see the possibilities for a water feature.

I've always wanted a large saltwater aquarium but never had the time. One of my clients upgraded to a 1,000 gallon aquarium and traded me some maintenance on his koi pond for his old 560 gallon tank.

Though I specialize in biological filtration systems for koi ponds and other types of outdoor aquaria, I know nothing about indoor equipment. The premise is the same yet equipment technologies and maintenance parameters and methodologies differ.

I am of the excessive and the go big or go home type (as can be seen by my front yard) so I expect this will be an insane tank when I'm "done".

So welcome to my adventure and journey into the unknown.........

FB_IMG_1497995838446.jpg
20180828_212424.jpg

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it was setup as a peninsula previously. The tank is glass and measures 3 ft W x 2.5 ft H x 10 ft L.

Since that photo of me in the tank cleaning it I've removed all the old silicone and applied new silicone.

I'm actually painting the cabinet as I speak. Then I'll be drilling a few extra holes on the 1 inch glass bottom on the opposite side (left) of existing ones (right). Pray for me!

Later today my RO-DI arrives and I'll start filling it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty front yard and house. Nice tank in the making also.

Always wanted water feature in the backyard.

Thank you!

I can help you with your backyard water feature, we travel. Do you want a little one or a big one? With our without fish? I'm just a PM away. Lol!

20180616_113257.jpg
FWG Samples (32)-1.JPG
FWG Samples (56).png
FWG Samples (103).jpg

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressive front yard! You have a dream job you know lol. Your tank is pretty much the exact same dimensions as mine. The perfect size reef tank If you ask me. I use 2 pool sand filters on my set up with waterco glass pearls media in them. They are supposed to filter down to 4-5 micron. Look forward to seeing your filtration set up.

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you!

I can help you with your backyard water feature, we travel. Do you want a little one or a big one? With our without fish? I'm just a PM away. Lol!

20180616_113257.jpg
FWG Samples (32)-1.JPG
FWG Samples (56).png
FWG Samples (103).jpg

Very impressive but looking at your first picture you posted of your front yard and you explaining it I sort of expected nothing less :D Those new pictures, are, well....um...amusement park quality there. Seriously, they look nice. Thank you - I'm sure you could do wonders in our back yard. We have been bouncing around stamped cement patio, then pool, then mixed patio grill area and fire pit, then system pavers, etc. At the end we are just not ready and will throw down some grass.

I'm always impressed at what some people can do, or willing to do, and be successful. That is something you can't really teach, you know? Again, nice work and photos.

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the nice words about my company's work. I would take all the credit but I have an awesome crew that's been with me almost 15 years.

Just finished removing and putting on new silicone. Tomorrow (later today) still holes, add sand then water.

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back of tank painted black and plumbing underneath is complete. Only missing a skimmer in the system but I'm considering designing a system that completely operates with an air-lift setup. Also working on a filtration design that might remove the skimmer altogether.

We'll see how the math adds up......

20180905_075923.jpg

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience (Not fact based, only anecdotal) if you was the rock with regular tap water, let dry for some days, and then run a solid tank cycle, this shouldn't be a problem. The thing is, a lot of us want to get the tanks up and running as quickly as possible. I am the same way...

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tell my clients that to have a successful koi pond all they need is water and patience. Now that I find myself on the other side I now understand why they all ignore my advice. Lol

I'm fighting the urge to hurry and I'm taking my time and doing it right thur first time. 560 gallons is not a "oh dang, I'll start over again" kinda tank. Lol

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience (Not fact based, only anecdotal) if you was the rock with regular tap water, let dry for some days, and then run a solid tank cycle, this shouldn't be a problem. The thing is, a lot of us want to get the tanks up and running as quickly as possible. I am the same way...

I agree. I wouldn't waste several 100 gallons of RODI water to rinse the rock off. I'd use tap. The amount of chlorine on it should be minimal. Once it cycles, it will be gone for sure.

OP
OP
The Pondman

The Pondman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I wouldn't waste several 100 gallons of RODI water to rinse the rock off. I'd use tap. The amount of chlorine on it should be minimal. Once it cycles, it will be gone for sure.

I'm working on sand bed now but I'll l keep this info in mind when I get to the rock

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back