IMG_1480.jpeg

The Porcupine Pufferfish Tank

The tank is 75-gallon Marineland tank and it was originally set up as an Aqueon back in April but it leaked so it had to get moved and replaced. I managed to save all the fish and equipment. Most recently a custom Lifereef HOB overflow and sump was added.
The tank is 75-gallon Marineland tank and it was originally set up as an Aqueon back in April but it leaked so it had to get moved and replaced. I managed to save all the fish and equipment. Most recently a custom Lifereef HOB overflow and sump was added.

Aquarium Profile and Equipment

What type of saltwater aquarium is this?
FOWLR
Total Water Volume
97
When did you start this tank?
Apr 16, 2023
What is your aquarium made of?
Glass
Aquarium Length (inches)
48
Aquarium Width (inches)
18
Aquarium Height (inches)
21
Aquarium Overflow/Drain
External Overflow
Aquarium Sump
YES
Sump Water Volume
22
Aquarium Stand
Nate & Jeremiah Raven Oak Universal Stand
Aquarium Controller
YES
Aquarium Controller Make and Model
Inkbird
Protein Skimmer
YES
Protein Skimmer Make and Model
Custom Lifereef Nano Skimmer
Aquarium Reactors
  1. Carbon
  2. Phosphate
  3. GFO
  4. Biopellet
Return Pump
Jebao DCW-3500
What types of equipment are you using for water flow and circulation?
  1. Powerhead
Water Flow and Circulation Equipment List
Two
Aquarium Lighting
  1. LED
Lighting Equipment List
Coralife LED Seascape Light 48-54 inches
Lighting PAR and Goals
None
Dosing Equipment Detail
None
Auto Top Off or ATO
YES
Aquarium Heating and Cooling
  1. I am using a heater or heaters
Water Temperature
78
Heating and Cooling Equipment Detail
300W BRS Titanium Heater with Inkbird controller.
Additional Equipment Detail
Lifereef HOB overflow with a custom Lifereef sump and nano skimmer.

Aquarium Water Chemistry and Parameters

pH Level
8.2
Specific Gravity
1.026
Nitrate or NO3
Under 20-50 PPM
Phosphate or PO4
1.0
Calcium
425
Alkalinity
8.5
Magnesium
1350
Salt Brand
Fritz Reef Pro Mix
Trace Element Dosing
None
Water Chemistry Detail
I don’t test anything regularly besides temperature and salinity as other parameters are less important in a fish only system compared to a reef tank. Some of the parameters I entered are the middle/average of freshly mixed saltwater parameters for my brand of salt. I know my nitrates and phosphate run high since I transferred old media but other than that the other parameters will fluctuate based on various factors and since I don’t test often/regularly these parameters are what my mixed saltwater is.

Aquarium Natural and Mechanical Filtration

Substrate
Sand
Substrate Level
Shallow
Live Rock
55
Live Rock Type
Real Reef Rock
Nutrient Export
  1. Protein Skimmer
  2. Floss
  3. GFO
  4. Carbon
  5. Other Chemical
Water Changes
YES
Water Change Details
Once a month to every few months.
Nutrient Export Details
The skimmer and filter along with occasional water changes.

Aquarium Tank Inhabitants (fish, coral, invert etc.)

Fish List
  1. Anthias
  2. Surgeonfish Tang
  3. Other Predatory
Total Fish
4
Coral List
  1. Other
Total Corals
0
Invert List
  1. None
Total Inverts
0
Livestock Detail
Currently the tank is home to Hewbie a Porcupine Pufferfish, Lavender a White Tail Bristletooth Tang, and Dot a Marine Betta. But this tank has been the home of many other fish who have sadly passed away My favorite fish is my porcupine pufferfish Hewbie as he’s the most personable and smartest fish I’ve ever kept. He is my saltwater puppy.
Livestock Quarantine
  1. Fish
  2. Other
  3. No Quarantine

Aquarium Nutrition (fish, coral, invert etc. feeding)

Fish Feeding Frequency
One Daily Feeding
Coral Feeding Frequency
Other
Fish and Coral Feeding
  1. Pellet
  2. Frozen
  3. Live Food
Auto Feeder
NO

Additional Aquarium Information

What do you think are the keys to your success in reefing?
Experience and the fact that this isn’t my first, second, or third saltwater tank I’ve set up and maintained.
Is that power filter and skimmer the only filtration for this tank?
 
Is that power filter and skimmer the only filtration for this tank?
Yes and I know puffers are massive poop machines lol! I upsized the filter and I keep up with maintenance but being a fowlr tank I’m not so much worried about high nutrients as I would be with a reef tank. And I don’t leave the lights on for very long so that helps keep algae down.
 
Is that power filter and skimmer the only filtration for this tank?
I actually just tested my water and it wasn’t terrible.
PH: 7.9
Alk: 8.8
Magnesium: 1282
Calcium: 395
Nitrate: 33
And my phosphate was out of range/higher need to retest that but haven’t yet it was reading around 3.0 but I believe that’s false but I don’t care since there’s no corals, inverts, or algae lol!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new