Rating - 100%
14   0   0
water changes.jpg

PaulPerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It bothers the crap out of me to with sw, but it's the life blood of the tank. I'm in the minority though. I prefer keeping fish 1st.

How true this is I don't know, but I've always been told that fish secrete other elements into the water so more clean water the better. 10-20% psychologically is like a breath of fresh air compared to the huge ones I'm used to doing with fresh.

I use drilled sumps, valves, & pumps with switches. So wc's are like drinking bourbon in one hand easy though.

I think you just identified the motivation to do water changes... Make them so easy you can have a bourbon in one hand WHILE doing your WC!!

Traian Boala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton Method became so popular because of this "no water change" policy, thus most of the people associates the practice of not doing WC with Triton. In reality, anyone can choose to do so as long as the NO3 and PO4 are in line and major, minor and trace elements are as well where they should be. If you have good filtration, use let's say CaRx for major and a popular brand for trace (ex. Red Sea colours) you should be good. On the other hand, I can't hold myself thinking about WorldWideCorals practice that BRS talks about in their BRS/WWC hybrid method series. They strongly advice to perform water changes for all the benefits that we know about. I too am lazy, but I prefer to see that as a plus, because I always find ways to be efficient, to do a lot with minimal effort. Therefore, if I want to do water changes I make it to be easy.
We hold a closed system in our living room and you have to be extremely lucky for nothing, and I mean nothing - no aerosols from some spray, no leaks from some stuff arround the tank, or stuff that are in the tank (magnets or whatever) - to reach the water. When that happens you will do a water change. A big one. I think the practice of regural WC is a good discipline, a moment to connect with the tank, to take out something that might be in there and to replenish other things. It will not be enough to replenish all the trace needed, but lets not forget that we put a lot of elements in the tank by simply feeding the fish and corals. Also, if you have sand, you really need to syphon that.
So yeah, I like Triton and am grateful they exist, but I do water changes. And because I am lazy, I change my water by presing a button.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing weekly 20% water changes to get rid of a cyano problem from neglecting my tank for a bit. Now that the cyano is gone...I am still doing weekly 15% water changes only because while doing them I get so much poop n crap out of the sandbed as I use a long 50 ft siphon. I only siphon my water from the sandbed. My parameters are perfect but there is always so much crap in my sandbed that I think I will stick to 15% WCs for a good while.

There is the other reason....keeping detritus in check. I don't want this to get into a sand bed debate or detritus debate, but I have a DSB in an 18 year old FOWLR that is packed with detritus since I don't do frequent WC/siphoning.

KirstenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the other reason....keeping detritus in check. I don't want this to get into a sand bed debate or detritus debate, but I have a DSB in an 18 year old FOWLR that is packed with detritus since I don't do frequent WC/siphoning.
I'm new to the lingo. Sry...but what are DSB and FOWLR?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton Method became so popular because of this "no water change" policy, thus most of the people associates the practice of not doing WC with Triton. In reality, anyone can choose to do so as long as the NO3 and PO4 are in line and major, minor and trace elements are as well where they should be. If you have good filtration, use let's say CaRx for major and a popular brand for trace (ex. Red Sea colours) you should be good. On the other hand, I can't hold myself thinking about WorldWideCorals practice that BRS talks about in their BRS/WWC hybrid method series. They strongly advice to perform water changes for all the benefits that we know about. I too am lazy, but I prefer to see that as a plus, because I always find ways to be efficient, to do a lot with minimal effort. Therefore, if I want to do water changes I make it to be easy.
We hold a closed system in our living room and you have to be extremely lucky for nothing, and I mean nothing - no aerosols from some spray, no leaks from some stuff arround the tank, or stuff that are in the tank (magnets or whatever) - to reach the water. When that happens you will do a water change. A big one. I think the practice of regural WC is a good discipline, a moment to connect with the tank, to take out something that might be in there and to replenish other things. It will not be enough to replenish all the trace needed, but lets not forget that we put a lot of elements in the tank by simply feeding the fish and corals. Also, if you have sand, you really need to syphon that.
So yeah, I like Triton and am grateful they exist, but I do water changes. And because I am lazy, I change my water by presing a button.
Of corse BRS finds water changes useful, they sell salt! lol

carbene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to do waterchanges since my tank has exactly 600 gallon of water. 20% waterchange is quite a bit of salt

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to do waterchanges since my tank has exactly 600 gallon of water. 20% waterchange is quite a bit of salt
WOW 120 gallon WC every week =$$$
Does this determine what you keep? or does sheer volume allow you to forgo WC's?
Whats even more surprising is that No one has come up with a way to filter or recycle saltwater....all the fancy electronics and now testers but no filters:oops:

carbene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this determine what you keep? or does sheer volume allow you to forgo WC's?
Whats even more surprising is that No one has come up with a way to filter or recycle saltwater....all the fancy electronics and now testers but no filters:oops:
Lots of live rocks, big skimmer and h380 over the refugium keeps the nitrate and phosphate manageable

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that you could recycle by putting the dirty water in a barrel of chaeto for a week or two.

Wh00pS32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with no sump? pics? that sounds like your near cycling the tank. how often? when/why do you do your wcs?

Why near cycling the tank?
Very little of the bacteria is in the water, it's in the rock, sand, on the glass. Anything with a surface.

Traian Boala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of corse BRS finds water changes useful, they sell salt! lol
C'mon... they were selling salt back when they changed the BRS 160 to Triton Method. In these series they just explain the WWC practice: CaRx and water changes. Simple. And WWC don't sell salt. They sell corals that grow in those tanks. Maybe you should watch the series. You will find very useful information.
This is not a debate... I might try Triton Method myself because I think they have a great product. But to say that BRS put all the effort to make these videos to sell you salt...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine that you could recycle by putting the dirty water in a barrel of chaeto for a week or two.
wish it was that simple, I was thinking a sand filter as in Pool filter with maybe layers of media and carbon. If such a process was known we would all be filtering instead of building mix stations and buying salt.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish it was that simple, I was thinking a sand filter as in Pool filter with maybe layers of media and carbon. If such a process was known we would all be filtering instead of building mix stations and buying salt.
I think that's part of the point. Many of us are filtering with either an ats or fuge instead of changing water.

That's the idea behind triton.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m still doing water changes. In all honesty the only way I realize I’m doing water changes is when I see the water level in my stock saltwater tank goes down. Since I have plumbed my RODI tank into my ato tank and my salt tank was setup to do automatic daily water changes I haven’t really had to carry around water at all.

I still have to do water changes in my quarantine tank so that stinks but that is it

Now if I could figure out how to automate making up saltwater for the water changes that would rally make me lazy lol

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the idea behind triton.
Yes I tried that route, its not all its cracked up to be. Very large systems it makes CENTS but for an average system or at least mine 75g water changes are the simplest and cheapest. Look at @GoVols tank, old school WC never looked better

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back