The Queen in QT

livingouttruth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a queen angel 3 weeks ago. She is a large queen. She is in QT in Copper Power. 2.5. She is eating great, fat! About two weeks ago lympho showed up on her fin. Not a real big deal.
I have been in the hobby over twenty years, and I love the process of QT.
But today I see she has a red/orange something coming off her gill.
Here is a pic.
Anyone able to help with this? I’ve not seen this before.
Thank you so much
Sean

0C1721C7-C51A-4C78-B9B6-DB58BCF42277.jpeg 648C3C0D-A073-493F-9EF9-0FB65EC4F62A.jpeg

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and appears in good shape otherwise - interested to see what the medics say

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought a queen angel 3 weeks ago. She is a large queen. She is in QT in Copper Power. 2.5. She is eating great, fat! About two weeks ago lympho showed up on her fin. Not a real big deal.
I have been in the hobby over twenty years, and I love the process of QT.
But today I see she has a red/orange something coming off her gill.
Here is a pic.
Anyone able to help with this? I’ve not seen this before.
Thank you so much
Sean

0C1721C7-C51A-4C78-B9B6-DB58BCF42277.jpeg 648C3C0D-A073-493F-9EF9-0FB65EC4F62A.jpeg
May be a scepticaemic condition known as vibriosis which looks like ulcers and lump. Other can be lesion caused by skin tuberculosis. The lympho you mentioned is indeed viral and will eventually be gone with good water quality and of course diet. Broad spectrum treatmen should address this but would like a second opinion - @Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note regarding being "fat."

A marine fish doesn't store fat in the area we think is the belly. Instead, a fat fish would be 'thick' in the upper part of its body.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May be a scepticaemic condition known as vibriosis which looks like ulcers and lump. Other can be lesion caused by skin tuberculosis. Broad spectrum treatmen sgould address this but would like a second opinion - @Jay Hemdal
To me this looks ike lymphocystis - and that pink bump could be a number of things depending on how quickly it came on. Was it there when you got the fish? If not - agree with @vetteguy53081 a bacterial infection would be right up there. to me it looks like a variant of either lymphocystis or another viral infection. Have you checked the fishes temperature? (just kidding) - there would be no harm to treating with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. the pink coloration - is worrisome. Of course it could also be some kind of large parasitic worm, etc - thats coming out. More history would be helpful. Thanks for the great pictures

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the second photo above, it looks like the pinkish area involved the opercular spine. If so, those commonly get damaged during transport/handling.

It *could* be an extension of the Lymphocystis, but the color seems wrong. Here is the issue though - the Lymphocystis virus causes the cells it infects to grow to hundreds of times normal size. Usually, the virus infects skin cells, and these show up white. If the virus involves other types of cells, it could possible take on the color of that tissue. For example, walleye develop a similar viral issue on their bodies that is pink, just like this.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back