The Reef Aquarium Volume 1

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This book was recommended to me by a local coral farmer. The book was published in 1994.
Does anyone have a recommendation on a reef keeping "bible" that is newer in circulation?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I feel like the internet has taken the hobby “book” knowledge for the hobby. Obviously here is a great resource but you have to sift through tons of posts. I’ve been trying to compile a list of articles and threads where I’ve found information to be most useful. sort of my go to’s for specific things. I’ll keep you posted if you are interested. I did order a copy of Reef Aquariums based on this posted piqued my interest

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's actually a lot of info in this series and the bulk of it is still relevant. Volume 3, in particular, has references to some quite in-depth reef keeping concepts, but are easily missed upon first reading. Even after more than a decade after I bought them (and countless readings), I still go through these on occasion as a 'refresher'.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef/fish book business is mostly dead .... a great shame too. Some book series never got fully published even though volumes had been completed. Reef Aquatium series was OK. Even volume 3 is now 15 years old. I much prefer the four volume Modern Coral Reef series (also old lol). The good news is that most of the principles and science contains therein remains perfectly sound. Reading books by people who actually know what they’re talking about insulates you a bit from the ‘truth’ online.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef/fish book business is mostly dead .... a great shame too. Some book series never got fully published even though volumes had been completed. Reef Aquatium series was OK. Even volume 3 is now 15 years old. I much prefer the four volume Modern Coral Reef series (also old lol). The good news is that most of the principles and science contains therein remains perfectly sound. Reading books by people who actually know what they’re talking about insulates you a bit from the ‘truth’ online.

I bought Vol 1 of that Modern Coral Reef series way back, but remember having difficulty with the somewhat awkwardly translated text so didn't get the other three. Great that you found the series useful.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can see that. The sprung series is probably more accessible. I had spent a lot of time struggling through the two Peter Wilkins books and the Optimum Aquarium ... all of which suffer from stilted translations; so by the time I got to the Nilsen books I was a pro.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back