BOOK REVIEW: “Reefkeeping Fundamentals” - essential reading

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished @Beuchat book, “Reefkeeping Fundamentals”. This is the reefkeeping resource I wish I’d found when I started. Would have saved me a ton of heartache.

The author presents a modern, evidence-backed tale on setting up and maintaining a healthy reef system. What really stands out is how he uses real science to educate the reader but presents it in clear, concise, easy to read sections with lots of helpful photos, charts, and other images.

I will recommend this book to anyone getting started in this hobby…in fact, I’d recommend it to anyone who’s in the hobby, regardless of how many years of experience you have.

Well done, Angel!

For those interested, you can order a copy HERE.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will second the endorsement. Yet, I confess,
I have not read the book, as I received it only yesterday from Amazon. The driver was reluctant getting out of his van

image.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I will recommend this book to anyone getting started in this hobby…in fact, I’d recommend it to anyone who’s in the hobby, regardless of how many years of experience you have.“

Kudos to Reef Fundamentals.

Angel,
You have hit a grand slam home run and I only read the Introduction & Forward

With 53 years of reef addiction, I claim expert. However, to qualify & define the word expert, I will quote two of my hero figures.

Abraham Lincoln said, “An expert is someone who drives 50 miles to give their opinion.

then, @Lasse
My Viking friend, quotes a Danish Phylosapher, Nyles Bhoar,

An expert is someone who has made every error in a field of endeavor that is humanly possible to make and Survives It.

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This book was just dropped off by Amazon the other day and I am a few chapters in. The only thing keeping me away from it is this darn forum! :) I haven't had a tank in quite some time so I'm back to re-educating myself. I've been to several saltwater stores in the area and no place has had any books in store.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This book was just dropped off by Amazon the other day and I am a few chapters in. The only thing keeping me away from it is this darn forum! :) I haven't had a tank in quite some time so I'm back to re-educating myself. I've been to several saltwater stores in the area and no place has had any books in store.
I’m so glad you’re liking it! It’s so good

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the Pacific Northwest? My brother lives just north of Eureka, California.

Are you near the coast? I have a thing for tidepools.

A single tide pool contains many food chains. Algae and other plants are eaten by plant-eating zooplankton; this plankton is eaten by larger, carnivorous plankton; these are eaten by a mussel, barnacle or other marine invertebrate; the mussel is then eaten by an ochre star, which may be eaten by a gull or a sea otter.

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in the Pacific Northwest? My brother lives just north of Eureka, California.

Are you near the coast? I have a thing for tidepools.

A single tide pool contains many food chains. Algae and other plants are eaten by plant-eating zooplankton; this plankton is eaten by larger, carnivorous plankton; these are eaten by a mussel, barnacle or other marine invertebrate; the mussel is then eaten by an ochre star, which may be eaten by a gull or a sea otter.

I am 2 states north of your brother.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are getting back into it. Hello from Tacoma!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea This book reminds me of this book which I felt was "the" book back in the day... I am sure you have a copy...

The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrate​

Martin A. Moe Jr.

I had a copy. Yet, I recall when he said at my first MASA Conference in 1972:

Reef aquarium chemistry in not “rocket science”, It’s more complicated.

NOTE: Martin Moe had a doctorate in zoology & marine biology. He thought, “Out of the Box”.

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Subsea This book reminds me of this book which I felt was "the" book back in the day... I am sure you have a copy...

The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrate​

Martin A. Moe Jr.

I love this book.........it was a very important reference for me when I started out(1989) and knew basically nothing.
It's one of the few I've kept over the years.

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are getting back into it. Hello from Tacoma!
My very first saltwater tank I picked up used from a guy in Tacoma many moons ago! I came away with a Spanish Dragon Moray (at least that's what i knew it as) and some other cool fish that he had to find a home for. That sequed into building a larger tank and I was hooked. My wife still reminds me how upset with she was with me due to having to donate the fish to a LHS when I got deployed overseas. I loved that moray.

and @Subsea Go Huskies!!!!!!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this book.........it was a very important reference for me when I started out(1989) and knew basically nothing.
It's one of the few I've kept over the years.
I feel the same! I think I started out a year earlier but… not counting anymore. lol. I lost the book several years ago (lent it out) I was thinking about it about a year ago but I couldn’t remember the title/author. Just by chance I came across it again for a few dollars at a used book store. Reading through it again you realize the details because of technology have changed but not the concepts. I would recommend this book to anyone who can have an open mind and read between the lines. Or any of you new reefers that what to now what it was like 35 years ago.

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished Reefkeeping Fundamentals and I've already started rereading it! This is a very good book with a lot of information to sift through. I am rereading it again to further assimilate what he discusses. After reading the chapters on Alkinity and PH I couldn't help but think back to many of the threads I've been reading here on the topic. I also ordered The Reef Aquarium Vols 1, 2, and 3 off ebay and the first two should be arriving today. I may be getting ulcers trying to figure out what size tank and equipment I want to go with but I sure am enjoying educating myself on reefing.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little outside of books but there are a lot of great articles from Reefkeeping.com that has a ton of articles that are relevant now. Eric Borneman had an excellant series " Foods of the Reefs"

There is also a fantastic group of articles from Advanced Aquarist. Reefs.com has all of them I believe

Dana Riddles series on lighting corals is awesome

WonkyWapiti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little outside of books but there are a lot of great articles from Reefkeeping.com that has a ton of articles that are relevant now. Eric Borneman had an excellant series " Foods of the Reefs"

There is also a fantastic group of articles from Advanced Aquarist. Reefs.com has all of them I believe

Dana Riddles series on lighting corals is awesome
Thanks for this info, you've given me another rabbit hole to dive into :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back