The Reef Breeders SuperNova LED Fixture!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update, we ordered some more electrical stuff, but let's get to the fun part, the acrylic! This beast will have a nice gloss black acrylic panel on top, and on the bottom in the middle. The fan will be on top (under the acrylic), and we have a sick finger guard picked out. Who likes chrome? Well, you're in luck. The fan guard is really cool, and a whole lotta chrome!

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you need anyone to put this over a tank and take professional images for marketing purposes... I know some one that can do that! :D

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, we just got the acrylic in, all I can say is, it's awesome. I can see my reflection in it, you might not even look in your tank. We do not have a camera worthy of pictures, and HD SLR is on the way, one of the only cameras worthy of depicting the SuperNova. And on top of that, we built the prototype ourselves, in our repair shop, from scratch, so this one isn't even the "fancy" production model. The boards were scheduled to ship today, so the best part, the LEDs, will be on very soon!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the news: We moved most of the assembly to China, we do not have the capital to rent a large enough facility, or buy the equipment ourselves, but it will be done using the latest and greatest soldering and powder-coating tech that the factory has to offer. We will be using the same case as the Bridgelux value fixtures for the SuperNova, with some modifications. The LED layout is finalized, we decided on Cree XP-Gs, instead of XT-Es, to gain 5-8% in efficiency (yes, they cost more, but well worth it) when the new XP-G2 is more available, those will be used. The reds will be 660nm Osrams, which are far more effective than cree 620-630nm red-oranges, the fixture will include 8 violets, 4 410nm, and 4 420nm, 2 500nm cyans, and 2 520nm greens to go along with the 16 XT-E royal blues, and 16 XP-G cool whites, for 48 LEDs in total. The heatsinks will still be from heatsinks USA, and far larger than most heatsinks used on manufactured heatsinks, the heatsinks will be added in our shop in the USA. The drivers will take PWM, 0-10v analog, or resistance dimming, so all 3 are avialable, along with the option to add a Dim4 controller, or possibly the same controller used in our new 104watt fixtures. We apologize for leaving you guys in the dark for a while, and can assure you that the prototype will be here in about a month, likely less.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it out, one of the first XT-Es to be sent over for the first prototype,which should be here in less than 4 weeks! We will put them up for Pre-Order after the prototype is tested!

IMG_2622.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SuperNova prototype is on the way, the production model will be debuted at the Sin City Reef Convention in Las Vegas this December!

Home Page

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well what ever happen to this supernova led fixture ???? no imput in forever, and its almost may of 2013. lol

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s 2018. Where’s the new reef Breeders super nova light? Disappointing to not have you busting out new & innovative, high value fixtures.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more pics for you guys, the rough frame of the prototype is done, and pictured below. The actual fixture will be much neater, and have acrylic on the top and middle. Oh, and LEDs too :)

DSCF3277.jpg

DSCF3276.jpg

DSCF3275.jpg
will these have tank mounts or only hanging kits ?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s 2018. Where’s the new reef Breeders super nova light? Disappointing to not have you busting out new & innovative, high value fixtures.
Wow, this post is 5 years old, I honestly didn't expect it to be revived at this point, haha :)

Unfortunately we had to cancel this product, the software was too complex and the actual light just didn't have the PAR output and efficiency we expected for a light with this many LEDs. The SuperNova was more of a lesson for us than anything else, our company was much younger and we announced the product too early. When I personally tested these lights along with some trusted friends, they just didn't hold up to the standards we set, and would require a complete redesign to bring to market. At that point- it was a sunk cost.

With more R&D funds now freed up we are actively working on updating our Photon V2 line, and we have put a significant investment in new products like the RP-M pump, UV sterlizers, and other products soon to be announced. We are also investing heavily in inventory, hiring, and other areas of the business that are needed in order to continue to provide legendary service.

Rest assured we are always working on new stuff, and you will see by how much our products have changed in just the past couple of years that we have continued to innovate and bring in new tech.

Thank You,
Logan Vanghele
Owner
ReefBreeders.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back