The Reef Breeders SuperNova LED Fixture!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SuperNova will be the best in it's class, with a total of 48 LEDs, on 4 dimming channels. Channel one consists of 16 Cree XT-E 455nm royal blues, Channel 2 consists of 16 Cree 7500k cool white XP-Gs, Chanel 3 consists of 2 Bridgelux 490nm cyan, 2 Cree XP-E 520nm green, and 4 Osram 660nm deep reds. Channel four consists of 4 410nm, and 4 420nm Bridgelux violets. There will be several models available, which can interact with 0-10v analog, pwm, resistance dimming (knobs), and a version with a built in pwm controller (in the works). The prototype should be here in about 4 weeks (from september 30th).

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1smile1 Supernova won, huh? That's the one I voted for! :bounce:

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing the final product in action

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing the final product in action

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
As are we, the exact LED arrangement is not yet decided, but the lineup is. We are toying with a few options for looks as well, it will definitely be short and sleek, while still getting great power and spread.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are finishing up the pcb board design right now. Right now it will be 44 LEDs total, 16 XP-G cool white, 16 XT-E Royal Blues, 2 XP-E reds, 2 XP-E greens, 8 bridgelux 420nm violet. The high noon circuit was removed due to it not being needed. Users can simply use the controller to raise the whites in the middle of the day if wanted. So what do you guys think? Would you like us to add anything? As the retailer and wholesaler, we would like you, the customer to offer your opinion before the final design is submitted.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, we have great news! We found a US supplier and factory for most of the components! The circuit board will be made in a plant in MahWah, NJ, and the heatsinks, fans, acrylic, LEDs, and wires will also be made in the USA, and assembled right in our facility in CT. The circuit boards will take about 2 weeks to build, the only thing left is finding the factory to mount the LEDs. Once we have that, they will be ready to roll off of the production line, hopefully before the anticipated release date in September.
Thanks,
Logan

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yea
nothing like American made stuff !!!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, we found a company that will solder the LEDs in the USA! The LED boards will be modular and upgradeable in the future as new LEDs come out. For example, if the XT-E gets an update, or cree starts carrying 420nm violet LEDs, we will make a new baord with the upgraded LEDs, not only for all of the new fixtures, but for the original ones as well. Replacement is as simple as unscrewing the old board, unplugging it from the connector, and plugging it back i to the new board. Thermal paste will be included with the kits. We will update it with a price down the road.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.... You really have me interested in this one now. Would you PM me a contact number Logan so I can chat with you about a few options?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little teaser for you guys:

DSCF3268.jpg

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're MEAN!

Is the controller going to be external from the fixture, or all in one? What about the drivers? I know another competing fixture has the drivers separate, making the fixture itself much smaller. Since my tank is in the living room, what the fixture actually looks like is important to getting wife approval.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're MEAN!

Is the controller going to be external from the fixture, or all in one? What about the drivers? I know another competing fixture has the drivers separate, making the fixture itself much smaller. Since my tank is in the living room, what the fixture actually looks like is important to getting wife approval.
The drivers will be external, the controller will be right on the top. This fixture is TINY, but it packs a punch. 56 LEDs on a fixture like this will cover a 36" tank no problem.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're MEAN!

This fixture will defenitely get the WAP (wife approval factor). I have never met someone who didn't like the look of silver and black together. Right now the last phase of design is complete, we just need to get the materials together and build the thing, lol. When the first one is built, we will open it for pre-order, and officially announce the price.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The boards are set to ship on the 6th, we have the heatsink/support assembled. This fixture will cover a 36" sps heavy tank, no problem. We will test by putting 2, that's right 2, over a 6' 125 gallon tank. Keep in mind these fixtures are only 12" long, kinda like a star shrinking down, then giving off a powerful flare, aka a supernova :)

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a SPS heavy tank with only 2 12" fixtures?

I will be following along for the ride.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a SPS heavy tank with only 2 12" fixtures?

I will be following along for the ride.
The 125 is more of a mixed reef, but there is plenty of sps, mostly in the middle, where there will be less light in this case.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more pics for you guys, the rough frame of the prototype is done, and pictured below. The actual fixture will be much neater, and have acrylic on the top and middle. Oh, and LEDs too :)

DSCF3277.jpg

DSCF3276.jpg

DSCF3275.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back