OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I need to QT a sea hare and get him in the tank and my LFS is out. Booooooo!

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty...

Just got back home from a week vacation and spent 2 hrs cleaning and inspecting. And the glass was absolutely covered with green algae... but that's fine, because there was literally hundreds of pods all over. Extremely happy to see that.

Didnt lose a single coral in the 125g and the 55g attendance is all accounted for, looking great, and gave them some Frenzy and Shrimp as a "missed u guys" present! Amen... phew. Been worried sick all week at the beach.

2 weeks left on the fallow timer... and I tested the QT, cycled, diatoms present. Just in time....

Flew to LFS... and just picked up these beauties for QT...

20180826_135753.jpg

Yellow Tang
Desjadinis sailfin Tang
Mandarin Drag (since my pods are established now)

Drip acclimation and a FW RO dip before they go into QT and I'm on track. No fighting yet and they are all eating LRS Frenzy and Shrimp together. Success!!!!

Cannot wait to get everyone together in the 125g... fallow sucks but it is the sure bet.

Any advice for me over the next 2 weeks and for the move into the new tank when all fish will be together at last?

@cmcoker
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks
@Crabs Mcjones
@dbl
@Maritimer
@reefsquad

@ anyone.

Wish me luck :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty...

Just got back home from a week vacation and spent 2 hrs cleaning and inspecting. And the glass was absolutely covered with green algae... but that's fine, because there was literally hundreds of pods all over. Extremely happy to see that.

Didnt lose a single coral in the 125g and the 55g attendance is all accounted for, looking great, and got some Frenzy and Shrimp as a "missed u guys" present! Amen... phew. Been worried sick all week at the beach.

2 weeks left on the fallow timer... and I tested the QT, cycled, diatoms present. Just in time....

Flew to LFS... and just picked up these beauties for QT...

20180826_135753.jpg

Yellow Tang
Desjadinis sailfin Tang
Mandarin Drag (since my pods are established now)

Drip acclimation and a FW RO dip before they go into QT and I'm on track. No fighting yet and they are all eating LRS Frenzy and Shrimp together. Success!!!!

Cannot wait to get everyone together in the 125g... fallow sucks but it is the sure bet.

Any advice for me over the next 2 weeks and for the move into the new tank when all fish will be together at last?

@cmcoker
@4FordFamily
@HotRocks
@Crabs Mcjones
@dbl
@Maritimer
@reefsquad

@ anyone.

Wish me luck :)
Best advice is don’t skip the mandarin because it doesn’t show symptoms — they’re fantastic Typhoid Marys. That could cause you to start this all over again. Mandy’s are tough to QT that’s why I don’t have one. Don’t skip proper treatment, that’s all I’m sayin! :)

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
DIY Floating Canopy is Progressing...

FloatingCanopyFinal.png

I am fairly confident I will need to put guide wires to the front corners... Not sure the hinge-metal will hold the weight without bending...

I could always spot weld some rebar lengthwise to re-inforce the hinge... Time will tell.

Do your self a favor to help make mounting easier. Where you have the 45 deg angle supports, the part the is on the wall, it’s doable but the way you have it is not the easiest or most secure mount. What you should do it cut the a little shorter, then run a piece of wood the length of the wall similar to what you have above, but instead of below the 45 supports do it between them and the wall. This way you can have this support board tied in at 2-4 studs and then you screw your 45 supports in that instead of directly through the dry wall. Just a thought that would probably make your life a little easier and the whole thing a touch more secure.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice is don’t skip the mandarin because it doesn’t show symptoms — they’re fantastic Typhoid Marys. That could cause you to start this all over again. Mandy’s are tough to QT that’s why I don’t have one. Don’t skip proper treatment, that’s all I’m sayin! :)

Oddly enough, I asked my LFS to test their cupramine levels today so I could match it.. and they were running .6 in the tank the mandarin was in... hes been in there for 3 weeks, eating nano frenzy. Looks very healthy.

Always heard cupramine treatment isnt recommended for mandarins.. hmmm..

They test their copper every 4 days in every single salt sump they run. The asst. Manager is in charge of it. The tangs and mandarin came in at the same time 3 weeks ago. So they've all been through 3 weeks of .6 cupramine already. Will go 2.5 weeks more for my own sanity, but I'm just gonna run it at .4... I think .6 is too high

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

FloatingCanopyFinal.png

I am fairly confident I will need to put guide wires to the front corners... Not sure the hinge-metal will hold the weight without bending...

I could always spot weld some rebar lengthwise to re-inforce the hinge... Time will tell.

I assume you are just hanging some lights in your canopy and you aren’t using a crazy heavy wood. In this case, just buy the industrial gate hinges and not the small decorative ones - they’ll have no issue with the weight. I have a rather tall canopy that holds wine in additiona to the lights, fans, and feeder, my hinges have no issues.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are just hanging some lights in your canopy and you aren’t using a crazy heavy wood. In this case, just buy the industrial gate hinges and not the small decorative ones - they’ll have no issue with the weight. I have a rather tall canopy that holds wine in additiona to the lights, fans, and feeder, my hinges have no issues.

I'm also going to add tie-wire to each front corner running to eye hooks in the studs up high as well to ensure plum, level, and no slouching over time.

But yes... whole canopy with lights is less than 40lbs.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

FloatingCanopyFinal.png

Instead of guide wires you could use gas shocks (like what a car trunk uses). This will help with lowering and raising the canopy. Will also make sure that when you are putting it back down, it won’t slam.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the new fish go into their own quarantine? If they went in with the others that you're treating technically the clock starts over for your 30 day treatment. If they're in their own tank, once your fallow period is up you can add the fish you've already done, but definitely run a 30 day on the new ones:)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the new fish go into their own quarantine? If they went in with the others that you're treating technically the clock starts over for your 30 day treatment. If they're in their own tank, once your fallow period is up you can add the fish you've already done, but definitely run a 30 day on the new ones:)

All 3 were at lfs under .6 cupramine for the last 2.5 weeks. I am maintaining the treatment, just at .4. Should be okay?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of guide wires you could use gas shocks (like what a car trunk uses). This will help with lowering and raising the canopy. Will also make sure that when you are putting it back down, it won’t slam.

I will be careful... but that's a good thought i didnt consider... maybe I'll try 2 screen door shocks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 were at lfs under .6 cupramine for the last 2.5 weeks. I am maintaining the treatment, just at .4. Should be okay?
What guarantee do you have that they were actually treating them?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough, I asked my LFS to test their cupramine levels today so I could match it.. and they were running .6 in the tank the mandarin was in... hes been in there for 3 weeks, eating nano frenzy. Looks very healthy.

Always heard cupramine treatment isnt recommended for mandarins.. hmmm..

They test their copper every 4 days in every single salt sump they run. The asst. Manager is in charge of it. The tangs and mandarin came in at the same time 3 weeks ago. So they've all been through 3 weeks of .6 cupramine already. Will go 2.5 weeks more for my own sanity, but I'm just gonna run it at .4... I think .6 is too high
Every time they added a fish to their system that clock restarted. So that’s probably within the week prior to you purchasing. I’d assume you need 30 days more to be safe so you don’t do this all over again.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tested it in front of me. And my mentor has 11 tanks at his house and swears to me, he works there.... Hes come to my house and helped when I first got started, for free.
Every time they added a fish to their system that clock restarted. So that’s probably within the week prior to you purchasing. I’d assume you need 30 days more to be safe so you don’t do this all over again.

The owner went on vaca last week same as me. No new fish came in this week. So it's been 10 days.

Either way I'll play it safe and go the full 30 days I suppose. Already been 2 months running fallow. What's another month?

Plus I gotta add tangs together last with by PBT. So itll work out. Excited

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ford4family has you covered, I wouldn't trust anyone but my own quarantine. You dont wsnt to come this far only to start over

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work.
. Yellow tang is floating.. desjadinis tang and mandarin drag r fine. Ph fine. All water fine. Ammonia badge showing nothing... what the efffff

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... LFS gave me 75$ credit from the disaster of the desjadinis and original yellow tang...

Here is today after emptying the tank and bring this new yellow home to join the mandarin in QT.

Amazing what happens when u dont mixed prime with cupramine...

/rich slaps himself in the forehead

20180830_165817.jpg

They're buddies and enjoy LRS frenzy nano together. Fingers crossed I dont lose this tang. Should be fine now that I'm not poisoning their water...

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me why in my hospital tank that is covered, after 45 days of cupramine at .4 , PLEASE tell me why did I just watch my PBT just run his side/gills against the sand 3 times before I left for work. ;Sour

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back