The right size UV for a RedSea Reefer 350

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3767.JPG
What is the best recommended brand of UV sterilizer that WILL fit inside of the Red Sea reeefer 350 sump cabinet? I ordered a Pentair 18w and am already regretting the order and need to send it back when it arrives. It is going to be too big for my sump. What UV sterilizer would you guys recommend for me to hard plumb inside of my sump area?

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you hard plumb it? How did you do the output, into the return or in the sump? 20inches long is still kind of large for my sump.
Mine was used for fighting dino. So I plumbed mine in and out of the display. I hung mine off the back of my tank with a mj1200 feeding it. I used black pvc tubing in and out. What is the purpose of yours?

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was used for fighting dino. So I plumbed mine in and out of the display. I hung mine off the back of my tank with a mj1200 feeding it. I used black pvc tubing in and out. What is the purpose of yours?
Im still in the 7th week of my tank cycle. Based on my 20 gal marine experience I do not want to have so many issues with the algae and bacteria bloom again. Also based on BRStv videos and reviews with uv sterilization I really want to have this help reduce and slow the algae and bacterial blooms as well. Ive been drawing out how I will plumb it in my sumps back wall. Not sure the 23x4x6 in UV will give me any clearance to even have room fro plumbing. I may have to try to hang it on the ceiling above the sump. I mostly dont want to have to hard plumb it going to the back of my tank. But if wort comes to it....

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck finding out the correct size?? I’m also looking into this. Asked marine depot they said the 15watt would be max to a reefer 350 and suggested to go 25watt. But the length seems long to fit inside the cabinet.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand? I ordered the pentair 18w. 23inches long. It’s the best UV in the game and the right size wattage for my size tank. If it doesn’t fit in the cabinet then I’m going to plumb it out of the sump from the back.

Last edited:

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand? I ordered the pet air 18w. 23inches long. It’s the best UV in the game and the right size wattage for my size tank. If it doesn’t fit in the cabinet then I’m going to plumb it out of the sump from the back.
I have been doing quite a bit of research on this as well and found that the size matters more if you are only using a single return pump running the UV and turnover water in the tank. If you are combating things like ich, you run the UV at a much slower rate for max UV contact. It's higher for algae protection.

I think if you can run 2 returns, you can configure 1 for the UV and the other for turnover. You can probably get away with a smaller sterilizer being used like a reactor. I found this video useful. They've made a few on UV.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqua uv 25 watt in my 350, it’s a tight fit but works for me.

OP
OP
Keen4

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I saw that video. But I wanted more information especially when it comes down to plumbing and configuration ideas. I’ll be running mine on one pump and nothing else with it. It’s a Vectra s2. 14000 gph is enough.

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand? I ordered the pentair 18w. 23inches long. It’s the best UV in the game and the right size wattage for my size tank. If it doesn’t fit in the cabinet then I’m going to plumb it out of the sump from the back.
Aqua uv. Sorry for not being specific lol

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! But I don’t see your UV
Still deciding on which one to get lol. But I think ima going to go with the aqua 25watt. And mount it on the top front where the door is. And plumb it to the single gate on the left and have it return to the refugium (ato) conversion. Well that’s the plan so far

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough question because -- as usual -- it depends. For basic water maintenance you can get away with 18 watts no problem.

For ich and or dinos you will need 30 watts or so. Maybe just hang a few extra watts off the back when that becomes an issue.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've removed the floor board on the dry side of my REEFER 500P. I plan to drill a 1" hole through the partition board to pipe from my return pump to the DELTEC 80W UV and back to the Display Tank.

IMG_9781.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back