The role flow plays on the coloration of SPS

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We SPS keepers know that flow is important and vital for the health and growth of SPS but what roll does it play in coloration?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that it plays the largest part in the base coloration rather than coloration in the corallites & polyps. For example, I've had a few encrusting monti's with vibrant blue bases in high flow, but the coloration is much more subdued in lower flow with lighting held constant. I've also noticed that my strawberry shortcake had a nice green base in high flow, but in lower flow, the base turned more pale. Just my .02

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thread!

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that it plays the largest part in the base coloration rather than coloration in the corallites & polyps. For example, I've had a few encrusting monti's with vibrant blue bases in high flow, but the coloration is much more subdued in lower flow with lighting held constant. I've also noticed that my strawberry shortcake had a nice green base in high flow, but in lower flow, the base turned more pale. Just my .02

see that is a great observation and I have had similar conversations in regards to the Red Planet and why it won't keep it's green base and I truly believe flow plays more of a role in keeping the green base than the lighting does...I've had 2 different people tell me the same thing on 2 different occasions in regards to the red planet

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it (flow) is the vehicle for the necessary nutrients,trace elements and oxygen for the coral. I don't know if it plays a direct part in coloration but it does play a vital roll of bringing in and getting rid of what the coral needs and doesn't need to become as healthy as it can. Maybe in the examples above the coral that is put in a higher flow area is getting more of its metabolic needs than the one put in a lower flow area. Some corals are from higher flow environments than others also. I guess targeting what the species needs is part of getting the coral to color up to its full potential.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it (flow) is the vehicle for the necessary nutrients,elements and oxygen for the coral. I don't know if it plays a direct part in coloration but it does play a vital roll of bringing in and getting rid of what the coral needs to become as healthy as it can.

very true Andy and I agree 100 percent

Mavjoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that flow inside the tank is very vital for corals, in terms of keeping the coral healthy and thriving, especially SPS. Indirect flow!

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is vital for growth, feeding, and gas exchange etc. but I wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the role it plays on the actual coloration, considering that everything is in tip top shape in the system, does the actual flow contribute the coloration of the coral?

harlequinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see that is a great observation and I have had similar conversations in regards to the Red Planet and why it won't keep it's green base and I truly believe flow plays more of a role in keeping the green base than the lighting does...I've had 2 different people tell me the same thing on 2 different occasions in regards to the red planet

The redplanet is a great example FaviaFreak. I have 2 colonies of redplanet from ORA, one is in very high flow and the other low/med flow. The one in high flow has lots of green, basically looks like Tiera de Fuego, and the other one just has greenish at the base. I think flow has a lot to do with coloration and of course lighting too.

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The redplanet is a great example FaviaFreak. I have 2 colonies of redplanet from ORA, one is in very high flow and the other low/med flow. The one in high flow has lots of green, basically looks like Tiera de Fuego, and the other one just has greenish at the base. I think flow has a lot to do with coloration and of course lighting too.

awesome! sounds like flow does play a role in coloration more so than I thought..Thanks for the info!

harlequinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! sounds like flow does play a role in coloration more so than I thought..Thanks for the info!

well my flow and lighting is extreme on my main display: 2x Tunze 6105's, 1x MP40, 12 bulb t5's overdriven with icecaps on a 48x24x30 150G. I think it plays a big role on sps coloration.

peacetypes6

young'n
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive noticed that my sps seem to do better in medium to strong current, like 75% if that makes sense? And usually better grown when flow is constant.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had Dana Riddle speak at our club in January. It was his assertation that water flow was the most important part of keeping a reef aquarium and that it had a great affect on the color of our corals.

CJ

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had Dana Riddle speak at our club in January. It was his assertation that water flow was the most important part of keeping a reef aquarium and that it had a great affect on the color of our corals.

CJ

thanks for sharing :D

harlequinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CJ

Makes sense, high nutrient/mineral importation and high waste exportation

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what he explained, a lot of it has to do with the boundary effect of water with corals. Like many other things, the fluid next to an object tends not to move unless there is a bit of flow. Think of when it's cool outside- you normally feel warm until the wind blows. Without significant flow, the boundary effect makes it hard for gas exchange to get rid of the CO2, thus lowering the pH immediately adjacent to the coral, and keeps it from getting O2. Also, it makes it harder for the coral to get the calcium, magnesium and carbonate it needs to grow.

CJ

harlequinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the people out there that run their tunzes, vortechs, etc at full power as opposed to variational flow, why dont you chime in with your thoughts and findings.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back