The Seneye par meter is actually great.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having to wait like 3 days to have support switch my seneye from home to reef, I finally got to use the par meter. (Sucks that I got the unit on the weekend.) As a result, I found out that my spectrum is great, my par numbers are amazing for the corals I'm growing, and this thing is definitely worth $200.

My setup right now is a 4 bulb 2ft T5 Vivosun fixture running two blue plus and two purple plus. The light hangs 8 inches above a 20 long. This tank is a frag tank, so everything is at the same height. This reading was taken about 3 inches from the bottom of the tank where the frags sit.

P.S. The black line is my spectrum, not the color chart.

20220503_215948.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having to wait like 3 days to have support switch my seneye from home to reef, I finally got to use the par meter. (Sucks that I got the unit on the weekend.) As a result, I found out that my spectrum is great, my par numbers are amazing for the corals I'm growing, and this thing is definitely worth $200.

My setup right now is a 4 bulb 2ft T5 Vivosun fixture running two blue plus and two purple plus. The light hangs 8 inches above a 20 long. This tank is a frag tank, so everything is at the same height. This reading was taken about 3 inches from the bottom of the tank where the frags sit.

P.S. The black line is my spectrum, not the color chart.

20220503_215948.jpg
On the other hand, mine is useless unless I halve the number it shows to make it agree with the Apogee MQ510.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, mine is useless unless I halve the number it shows to make it agree with the Apogee MQ510.

See, I A/B’d a seneye with an apogee qm510 (two apogees actually), and the seneye read about 50% LOWER than the apogee units did. I was running an 8x54 watt t5ho unit at the time of the test. Odd

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to depend on what firmware it is running if the reported number is twice the actual number.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not update it or something to fix it? Pretty sure it’s a well know firmware issue.

OP
OP
SilvermistInc

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I A/B’d a seneye with an apogee qm510 (two apogees actually), and the seneye read about 50% LOWER than the apogee units did. I was running an 8x54 watt t5ho unit at the time of the test. Odd
What was your seneye firmware? v4?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread here or elsewhere that discusses this to include listing firmware. The Seneye is a nice little tool with multiple uses. PAR and out of water alert are both nice features. QT or isolation observation it is also a great tool. Dana also had a few good things to say about it and, well, he knows what he is talking.

As noted - check firmware, email Seneye, and search for the thread. I don't have it handy otherwise I'd link it. Love mine though.

OP
OP
SilvermistInc

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread here or elsewhere that discusses this to include listing firmware. The Seneye is a nice little tool with multiple uses. PAR and out of water alert are both nice features. QT or isolation observation it is also a great tool. Dana also had a few good things to say about it and, well, he knows what he is talking.

As noted - check firmware, email Seneye, and search for the thread. I don't have it handy otherwise I'd link it. Love mine though.
I know exactly what thread you're talking about, and the dude had the problem fixed by going from v4 to v6

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a firmware issue. You've gotta have it on v6 to have it be accurate again.
I heard about that, but it says no update available.

I use it for monitoring a QT now and use an apogee that the LFS let me use for free when I need it.

I'll contact Seneye and report back

OP
OP
SilvermistInc

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard about that, but it says no update available.

I use it for monitoring a QT now and use an apogee that the LFS let me use for free when I need it.

I'll contact Seneye and report back
Do let me know. Seneye fixed my issue the moment they got my email. So hopefully they do the same for you.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye works great. It doesn't need to be accurate, its all relative and I just need it in the ball park.

I have been having issues lately with mine not registering a reading the first few times I plug it in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back